Finally there is some great news for HTC EVO Shift 4G owners as official Android 2.3 Gingerbread OTA update is rolling out now. According to many users of this phone, they have received the update notification and are now in the process to upgrade their devices to this new firmware upgrade. But in case you already have root on your device, then it will be advisable to wait for custom ROM that is based on this Gingerbread version as directly updating can mess your device up.
According to HTC, the enhancements in this update roll out include:
- Android 2.3 Gingerbread
- All New SWYPE Keyboard
- Easy Access To Downloaded Content
- Fixed In-App Media Search
For those who don’t know, HTC EVO Shift 4G is a “lite” version of original EVO 4G and comes with 3.7 Inch display screen with a slider keyboard with processor clocking at 800 MHz.
Here is the step by step guide to upgrade your HTC EVO Shift 4G through OTA update:
- The first step is to make sure that your phone is connected over a stable internet connection.
- Launch Settings from Menu and tap on System Updates option.
- Once in System Updates Option, tap on HTC Software Update followed by tapping on Check Now.
- Now you will get a notification asking your whether you want to update to 22.214.171.1241.4 update.
- Tap on Yes and then wait for the update to complete.
- Once the update is finished, cross check and verify the update by going to Settings > About Phone and Software Information should display 126.96.36.1991.4.
There you go! You are now updated to the latest Gingerbread version. In case you are facing any difficulty, the call your carrier’s help line or consult the XDA thread posted here. Again, we’d request users with rooted phones to stay away from this update as it’s still not known if updating your phone can end you up losing root rights or a brick.