Development of ROMs for the Verizon HTC Thunderbolt seem to be shifting into higher gears real quickly. Just a day or two back we covered, what was the first custom ROM for the Thunderbolt. The ROM was a deodexed version of the stock Thunderbolt ROM with most of the bloatware removed. This time around, XDA-Developers forum member Jaywan brings to you, 4DLTE EXTREME, which is based on that very basic custom ROM. Read on after the break for more information on the features of this ROM, and how you can install it on your Thunderbolt.
Update: The ROM has been discontinued and so has the forum thread. The ROM was ancient anyways, and we have covered a guide on installing a custom Ice Cream Sandwich ROM on the Thunderbolt that you might want to check out.
To start of, “this rom is FAST!” as the developer puts it. The ROM is also stable and not plagued with bugs.
- The ROM includes the kernel, that no longer needs to be flashed via ADB anymore.
- Some performance scripts have been added for improved performance as you might have already guessed.
- A task killer tweak has been added.
- Some new fancy fonts have been added.
- VZW market included.
- YouTube, Stocks, Quick Office and Lookup have been removed.
Now that you’ve seen what this ROM is all about, let’s get it up and running on your Thunderbolt.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Rooted Verizon HTC Thunderbolt. See our guide on how to permanently root the HTC Thunderbolt.
- ClockworkMod Recovery installed. Download ROM Manager from the Market and flash the Thunderbolt recovery.
- 4DLTE EXTREME Custom ROM.
- Download the ROM from the link above and copy the ROM to the root of your SD card.
- Once the files are copied to the SD card, reboot your phone into recovery mode.
- Once in the recovery, make a NANDroid backup.
- Now wipe data/factory reset > wipe cache and Dalvick cache.
- That done, navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from SD card and select the ROM you copied to your SD card.
- You will be prompted with whether to install the file or not; choose Yes.
- Wait patiently for the process to finish and once it does, simply reboot your phone!
Congratulations! Your Thunderbolt should now boot into the newer ROM; one of many due on this device! For updates and queries regarding this ROM, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.