Earlier we covered a post on the Android 2.3.4 based XXKG1 firmware for the Samsung Galaxy S II, but that was purely a stock ROM. The much famous VillainROM has now been updated to 2.3.4 in light of the recent 2.3.4 leak, and is ready to be installed on the Galaxy S II. This 2.3.4 update has removed the Android OS battery drain that plagued the 2.3.3 firmware.
As for the ROM, if you are upgrading from VillainROM 1.2 or above, you can simply flash this ROM through the CF-Root version of ClockworkMod recovery. However, if you’re coming from any other custom ROM, or a stock ROM, you will need to flash the CF-root kernel as compatible with whatever ROM you’re on at that time.
As for the ROM features:
- The ROM is rooted.
- Fully redesigned, but with Samsung apps left using stock signatures.
- Optimised APKs for speed.
- Stock TouchWiz.
- Busybox added.
Complicated? We’ll take you through this step by step. The guide will assume you’re coming from a ROM other then VillainROM.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- ODIN installed on your system.
- CF-Root compatible with the current ROM you’re on. Download from this thread.
- Samsung USB drivers. Download for 32bit Windows | 64bit Windows.
- VillainROM 2.0.
- To begin, download the ROM and CF-Root kernel from the links above.
- Now Copy the ROM to the root of your SD card and power of the device.
- Run ODIN and make sure repartition is unchecked.
- Click on PDA and select the CF-Root kernel.
- Enter download mode (hold the Volume down key along with the Home button and press the Power button releasing it as soon as the screen boots up.)
- Connect the phone to the PC via USB and wait for ODIN to show the phone as connected.
- Once connected, hit the Start button and wait for the kernel to flash.
- The phone will reboot, so turn it off.
- Boot into recovery mode (Hold the Volume up key along with the Home button and press the Power button releasing it as soon as the screen boots up.)
- Select wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvick cache.
- Navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the ROM copied to your SD card.
- Wait for the ROM to flash, and once it does, reboot your phone.
That’s it! Your Galaxy S II should now boot into the new VillainROM 2.0. For updates and queries, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.