Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread, the latest upgrade for Android, has transformed into an Androider’s sensation after the official source code released. There are multiple devices that have already got this new version courtesy of custom ROMs, and surprisingly, Galaxy S branded variant Fascinate is the first one to receive it inform of a CyanogenMod nightly build. Of course 2.3.5 is scheduled to be integrated in respective CM builds for select devices in upcoming releases, but ht1134, responsible for managing CM for Fasinate, has already managed to do it on his assigned device.
Here is a brief overview of what’s changed in this release of CM 7 Android 2.3.5 based custom ROM for Samsung Fascinate:
At this time (07/28) there are a few changes of mine that have not yet been merged into the main CyanogenMod codebase. This mainly includes fixes for MMS. As such MMS will not currently work on the nightly builds until the change is approved and merged. Also, the 2.3.5 merge inadvertently removed the fix for signal strength display, so signal bars will also show 0 for now. These issues should be resolved soon enough.
Here is the step by step guide to install Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread GR90 CM 7 custom ROM on your Samsung Fasinate: [This method is only intended for users not running any previous CM builds on their phones].
It is necessary to understand that nightly builds can be filled with bugs and are not entitled for official support from CM team. Please make sure that you understand all the risks involved before embarking on this guide.
Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- The first step is to make sure that you have root on your device along with ClockworkMod Recovery installed on your phone. You can root Samsung Fascinate following the guide posted here and click here to download recovery and then manually install it using the tutorial provided here.
- Once done, download the nightly CM 7 Android 2.3.5 build for Samsung Fascinate from here and save it on your PC.
- After this connect your phone to the computer via USB cable, mount SD Card or SD Ext as disk drive and copy the ROM file to SD Card root.
- Now reboot your device into recovery, make a complete Nandroid backup followed by a complete WIPE of data, cache. yes, this means a factory reset along with wiping cache partition.
- One done, go to recovery main menu, choose Install Zip from SD Card and flash the file.
- After the installation is complete, reboot your device.
And there you go, you now have the latest Android 2.3.5 based CyanogenMod 7 nightly installed on your phone. You can now download ROM Manager on your phone and install upcoming nightly builds as they are made available by CM team.