For all of you who went for $99 HP TouchPad for the sake of getting Android are in luck! CyanogenMod 7 Android 2.3 Gingerbread Alpha build, that was demoed extensively through videos on different streaming sites, is now available for public download and installation. Compared with an early Android installation method, the procedure to install CyanogenMod 7 on HP TouchPad is lesser complicated and is do-able by virtually everyone. For those who don’t know, CyanogenMod is a custom Android based ROM that is available for select devices and is intended to enhance and optimize user experience. You can head to our detailed CyanogenMod guide and review posted here to gather more information regarding this ROM.
Contrary to what users and Android modification circles originally thought, the CyanogenMod 7 Android 2.3 Gingerbread build for the HP TouchPad comes with most of the stuff as working. In fact, flashing this ROM on your TouchPad can very well act as your daily tab driver. The initial user response, who tested this build on their TouchPads, was quite satisfactory followed by some ugly bricks and frustrative bootloops, force closures and system crashes. Click here for a complete list of what works and which features still require developer attention.
Here is the step by step guide to install CyanogenMod 7 Android 2.3 Gingerbread Alpha build on your HP TouchPad:
- HP TouchPad with 2GB of Free Memory On Media Partition
- A USB Cable
- Novacom Installer for Windows
- Acme Installer
- CyanogenMod 7 Alpha Build For TouchPad
- ClockworkMod Recovery
Please note that we aren’t kidding when we say people actually hard-bricked their tabs trying to install CyanogenMod. It will be in your best interest to read through the instructions twice and watch the video at the end couple of times before embarking on this adventure. Our standard disclaimer applies and we or CM team won’t be responsible if you end-up with a damaged, bricked or a burned tablet. Proceed with caution!
- The first step is to download Universal Novacom Installer and install it on your computer.
- Now download Acme Installer, CM 7 , ClockworkMod Recovery and Moboot zip files, make a new folder named CM Install on desktop and copy the downloaded zip files to this folder.
- Now open CM Install folder present on your desktop and extract ACME Installer to C:/ Palm, Inc.
- After the extraction is complete, connect your HP TouchPad to the computer and select USB drive mode on your Touchpad.
- Once you have access to Touchpad file system, make a new folder named cminstall on your tab. Make sure that you create this new folder in the root and not in any sub-directory,
- Once you are done making cminstall foldr on your HP Touchpad, copy the CM 7 zip along with ClockworkMod Recovery and Moboot to cminstall folder from CM Install directory present on your desktop.
- Now eject the mounted Touchpad volume from your computer but keep it connected via USB cable.
- Now on your TouchPad, tap to launch DeviceInfo and tap on Reset options.
- Select Restart from the Reset Option.
- Once you see that glowing orb revolving in the middle of your tab’s screen, press and hold volume up key on your tablet.
- You need to keep the volume up key pressed until you see the USB symbol appearing on your tablet.
- Now on your computer, type cmd to access command prompt.
- Now type C:\ cd Program Files followed typing cd Palm, Inc.
- After you are in the Palm, Inc directory, type: novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller and press enter.
- As soon as you press enter,you will see a lot of command line activity going on your HP TouchPad.
- After the activity is over, your TouchPad will automatically reboot you should be able to see HP logo followed by Moboot booting options in blue.
- Use volume key to select Boot CyanogenMod and press home button to execute.
- And if everything went as planned, you will get the familiar CyanogenMod bootanimation on your tablet’s screen.
And here is video guide by reverendkj for those who prefer visuals and hands-on approach:
In case you are stuck or need more information, please head to the official XDA thread posted here.