Motorola Droid X2 is quickly gaining popularity among masses due to it’s great features and easy to hack nature. But rooting your Droid X2 still leaves all the bloat , aka carrier / manufacturer branded apps and utilities, on board which takes considerable time to get rid off. MinimalX ROM for Motorola Droid X2 is your one stop solution to get rid of bloat woes and the credit for this ROM goes of C21Jhonson at XDA forums. Although future development of this ROM i.e. post Version 3 has been halted, but users and testers have termed this ROM as rock stable with butter like smoothness. The ROM comes with 90 % of the bloat debloated along with some crucial system edits, framework tweaks etc. Folks have been able to secure average 3000 Score in Quadrant with 4750 observed in AnTuTu Benchmark.
If the pitch above interests you and you want to get this ROM on your phone, then here is the step by step guide to do so.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- The first step is to make sure that you have root on your device along with recovery installed. You can root your phone via Gingerbreak following the guide posted here and click here to install recovery.
- Once done, download MInimalX ROM’s latest version from the official XDA posted here.
- After this connect your phone to the PC and copy the downloaded ROM file to SD Card root.
- Once done, use the bootsrap recovery apk, present on your phone after you have flashed custom recovery, to reboot your device in custom recovery.
- After you land in Recovery, first make a complete Nandroid backup and then use recovery options to fo a complete Data and Cache reset.
- Now go to recovery main menu and go to Install Zip From SD Card option.
- In the resulting menu, select the ROM zip file you earlier copied to SD Card root.
- Now confirm install and wait for the installation to complete.
- After the installation of MinimalX ROM is complete, reboot your device.
- Once the ROM boots, make sure that you choose anyothr keyboard except Moto Input Method.
- Setup your Google preferences and you are ready to enjoy the awesomeness of MinimalX with very less bloatware on your phone.
Some known issues with this ROM, according to the ROM chef, are:
- User must change keyboard away from "Moto input method." This keyboard was removed from the build, but hasn’t had all traces cleared yet. It will not appear due to most of the structure and APK being removed.
- Charging battery animation is default
- Browser search function is faulty. To fix, please install Google Search from the Android Market.
In case you are facing any issues or need to provide bug reports, then use the link provided in step 2 for the official XDA ROM thread.