The Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc has started receiving the OTA update to Android 2.3.3 but as like most OTA’s, it hasn’t made it to all phones. So if you own an Xperia Arc and and not a fan of waiting it out, you could always update your device manually. Read on for how to update your Xperia Arc to Android 2.3.3.
The update method is actually just about the same as rooting your Xperia Arc as it involves flashing a .IMG file via ADB. That said, we’ll be covering the pre-rooted firmwares as the un-rooted firmwares have not been rooted so far via SuperOneClick or Gingerbreak.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Xperia Arc with an unlocked bootloader. See our guide on unlocking the Xepira Arc’s bootloader.
- Pre rooted firmwares : LT15i_3.0.A.2.181_Global | LT15i_3.0.A.2.181_HongKong | LT15i_3.0.D.2.79_DoCoMo_JP | LT15i_3.0.1.A.0.145_Hong_Kong (It is highly recommended to flash this un-rooted firmware before flashing this particular pre rooted firmware.).
The instruction set will assume that you already have fastboot and the USB drivers installed considering you can only attempt this by unlocking the bootloader first and that would require you to already have fastboot and the USB drivers installed.
- To begin, download the package of your choice and copy it to android-sdk-windows\tools.
- Now within that folder, hold the Shift key and press the right Mouse button. Now select Open command window here.
- Enter the following command and hit enter:
fastboot flash system SYSTEMFILE.img
fastboot -i 0x0fce flash system SYSTEMFILE.img
fastboot-mac -i 0x0fce flash system SYSTEMFILE.img
Wait patiently as the file is flashed onto your device. Once done, your phone would be rooted and ready to receive custom recoveries and ROMs that would soon follow.
For updates and queries, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.