For those of you who updated the Asus Eee Pad Transformer to Android 3.1 via the OTA, the rooting procedure has changed just a bit on Android 3.1. While there are pre-rooted Honeycomb 3.1 ROMs out there for the Transformer, a lot of people like to keep their devices close to stock as possible and the Transformer is one device that looks and functions wonderfully with a stock firmware. However, stock or not, root access is not something people can go without these days.
Through this solution, you will also be able to get ClockworkMod recovery working on your device and be able to flash unsigned zip packages to the Transformer. Enough said, this would require some concentration on your part, so let’s get on with it.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- ADB installed on your system. See our guide on what is ADB and how to install it.
- Motorola APX drivers.
- Root Kit.
- ClockworkMod recovery update.
- Micro SD card installed.
- To begin, download the root kit and ClockworkMod recovery update from the link above and extract the package.
- Power off the Transformer and enter APX mode by holding the Volume up and Power button till windows prompts for a driver. Direct it to the location of the drivers you downloaded.
- Once the device is connected in APX mode, run root.bat from the root kit.
- When the script it done running, run cwm.bat to install ClockworkMod recovery to the device.
- Reboot the device (do not disconnect form the computer) and make sure to enable USB Debugging in Settings > Applications > Development.
- That done, run root_app.bat from the root kit to install su and superuser.apk. The device will reboot after doing so.
- Copy the ClockworkMod recovery update file to the root of your micro SD card and reboot into recovery.
- Navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard and select the update for ClockworkMod recovery.
- Once the update is flashed, simply reboot the device.
Congratulations! You have successfully rooted and installed ClockworkMod recovery on your device! For updates and queries on the ClockworkMod recovery update package, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers.