Unlike Android, Windows Phone 7 does not have a lot of flavours and supporting devices, owing to the fact that the platform is pretty new and is still in early stages of maturity. However, that does not mean that it’s the same for every mobile device. There are a few little variations in WP7 for every device, and that is why all carriers and OEMs have their own firmware versions. If you are an LG Optimus 7 owner, you must have noticed that some of the options are carrier specific in your phone and are quite different as compared to other WP7 devices. You can change that by de-branding your phone, but that will give you a device without any associated carrier. Ever wondered if you can switch to any particular carrier? This is possible, and here’s how you can do this.
But before you do anything, be warned that this method could be dangerous and people have ended up bricking their phones doing this. So make sure you know what you’re doing before you start.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
The hack has been proposed by XDA member Nasir Ahmed.
- Head to this link and get the file named “LGDP2 V36 UMTS Setup”
- Unzip the file you just downloaded.
- Navigate to the folder named “LGDP2_31_INCLUDE_LGDP1_Setup” which will be present among the extracted files.
- Run the exe file present inside the folder.
- You will be asked for a serial number, this is also provided among the unzipped data.
- Now paste all the contents of your downloads folder to C: Download
- Proceed here and download the LG drivers.
- Install the drivers.
- Using USB cable, connect your phone to your PC.
Go to this help link and after downloading these files find out the DLL and DZ format of your handset.
Now you have to go to LGDP2_V36_UMT folder (located in Downloads) and hit OK after selecting UMTS.
Enter your PC’s device manager and find out LG’s port number.
Start “Download Configuration mode” and input the appropriate data as found out in previous steps.
Hit start in on the program menu.
Boot up your phone in download mode by holding the volume down button simultaneously with camera and power.
For a list of all available firmware versions, you can head to the XDA Forum thread.