Microsoft Teams can be minimized to the system tray after it has signed in. When you have a new message, a call, or you’ve been mentioned by someone, you will get a toast notification and a badge will be added to the Microsoft Teams icon in the system tray.
Microsoft Teams isn’t intrusive; if you want to run it in the background it will, You will be notified of new activity but your screen will not be taken over by the app.
Fix Microsoft Teams keeps popping up on screen
If you’re using Microsoft Teams in the background or it’s been minimized to the system tray, but it keeps popping up at random, this is not normal behavior. The app may appear if there is new activity, or for no apparent reason.
Disable Microsoft Teams as default chat tool
Microsoft Teams may be popping up because a Microsoft 365 app may be trying to use it. Normally, this is the Outlook app and this happens because Microsoft Teams is set as the default chat tool for it.
- Open Microsoft Teams.
- Click your profile picture at the top right and select Settings from the menu.
- Go to the General tab.
- Uncheck the “Register Teams as the chat app for Office” option.
- Close all Microsoft 365 apps and re-open them.
- Restart Microsoft Teams.
Update Microsoft Teams
Microsoft Teams updates silently but the app needs to restart to install the update.
- Open Microsoft Teams.
- Click your profile picture at the top right and select Check for updates.
- Allow the app to update and restart Microsoft Teams.
Update Outlook on Windows 10
Microsoft Teams works with Outlook, and has a dedicated plug-in for it which means, problems with Outlook may cause problems with Microsoft Teams. Try updating Outlook.
- Open Outlook.
- Click File and select Office Account in the column on the left.
- Click Update Options and select Update Now.
- Allow the update to download and install.
- Restart your system.
Microsoft Teams won’t bother users when put in the background. The only exception is when you get a call. A small window pops up in the bottom right corner but it won’t take over the screen. The app appearing on the screen and in the foreground isn’t normal behavior for it. If all else fails, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft Teams. It can be uninstalled like any other app but if it doesn’t uninstall, try these methods instead. Installing it again is easy.