A beacon is constructible item in Minecraft that is used as a signal and to apply affects to mobs/entities e.g. speed, allow the entity to jump higher, increase attack speed, and more. A beacon isn’t easy to construct, and once constructed, it takes more resources to use if you want to get maximum efficiency out of it. It requires resources that are hard to collect.
Minecraft beacon recipe
To construct a beacon in Minecraft, you need spawn a special mob that is hard to kill: the wither. You then have to kill the mob to obtain a nether star which is one of three items needed to craft a beacon.
To craft a beacon you need;
- Five glass blocks
- Three obsidian blocks
- A nether star
To obtain each item, follow the recipes for each given below.
- Collect sand and coal.
- Create a furnace.
- Smelt the sand in the furnace to get glass blocks.
Add water to a lava source block to get obsidian. You can add water to lava pool or you can collect lava and water in buckets and use it to craft obsidian. Obsidian is crafted without a a crafting table. All you need to do is pour water on lava which can be done in the overworld.
A nether star is obtained by killing the Wither. This is a mob that a user must spawn. In order to spawn the wither you need to;
- Collect Soul sand. Soul sand is found in the nether.
- Find a fortress in the Nether.
- Kill wither skeletons until you get three heads.
- Collect the heads and return to the overworld.
- Stack two blocks of soul sand, one on top of the other.
- Place a block of soul sand on either sides of the block at the top.
- Place three wither skeleton skulls at the top of the three soul sand blocks.
- The wither will spawn.
- Get ready to fight.
Now that you have the ingredient, you can craft a beacon.
- Open the crafting table.
- Place glass in the top row.
- Place glass in the first cell of the second.
- Place glass in the last cell of the second row.
- Place the nether star in the middle cell of the second row.
- Place obsidian blocks in the bottom row.
- Collect the beacon.
Using a Beacon in Minecraft
In order to use a beacon, you have to place it on top of a pyramid. The pyramid isn’t supposed to be a dirt block pyramid. It has to be composed of one or all of the following blocks;
You can use any type of blocks to make the pyramid. An iron pyramid will give you same boost as a diamond one. What does matter is the pyramid level.
- Pyramid level 1: Gives either Speed or Haste
- Pyramid level 2: In addition to the ability of the first level, gives you either Resistance or Jump.
- Pyramid level 3: In addition to the abilities from levels 1 and 2, gives you strength.
- Pyramid level 4: In addition to the abilities from all the previous level, gives you a second ability or levels up one of the other abilities.
Choose beacon abilities
The beacon abilities are picked by the player. To choose, right-click the beacon and select how you want to upgrade or which abilities you want to use.