Terrarium TV is dead. The developer shut down the service in September 2018 due to the current climate surrounding pirated content online, especially with Kodi. Within days of the announcement countless clones and “patched” versions of the software started to appear, each as fake as the last.
Terrarium TV may still work on your device, but the clock is ticking on how long that will last. Your best bet is to look for a reliable alternative to Terrarium TV as soon as possible, otherwise you risk losing access to your TV show and movie streams. Below we discuss some of the best alternatives to Terrarium, focusing on the Kodi environment and its top TV and movie streaming add-ons.
- 1 Keep Streaming Activity Secret with a Reliable VPN
- 2 Terrarium TV – Before Installing Alternatives
- 3 Alternatives t0 Terrarium TV – Replacement Kodi Add-ons
- 4 Conclusion
Keep Streaming Activity Secret with a Reliable VPN
The only real drawback to using Kodi is that the software has drawn scrutiny from governments, content rights holders, and ISPs. This has led to a number of users having their connections throttled for no apparent reason. If a company detects Kodi traffic, it’s very possible they might assume you’re accessing content illegally, even if you’re not!
The best way to combat this is to use a good VPN. Virtual private network services create a private tunnel between you and the internet, all thanks to a little thing called encryption. Each time you connect through a VPN, your identity is anonymized and your traffic hidden behind an obscuring veil of cryptography. This allows you to surf freely and stream anything you like, all without worrying about copyright infringement or ISP throttling.
Choosing the Right VPN
How in the world do you decide which VPN is best for Kodi? We’ve simplified the process by outlining the most important qualities you need in a VPN, followed by our recommended service. Use the information to keep yourself safe every time you stream on Kodi.
- Fast speeds – Only the best VPNs provide fast speeds.
- Server network distribution – VPNs with a huge server network are usually better than the competition.
- Wide device support – Make sure your VPN runs on smartphones and tablets alike.
- Zero-logging policy – Only sign up with VPNs that have a strict zero-logging policy
The Best VPN for Kodi – IPVanish
IPVanish has all the best privacy and security features Kodi users need to stay secure. It delivers incredibly fast speeds (perfect for streaming), has amazingly strong privacy policies (great for security), excellent encryption, and a huge network of 1000+ servers in over 60 different countries. As soon as you sign up, you’ll have full access to all of Kodi’s amazing add-ons without having to worry about ISP throttling.
Security features built into the IPVanish experience include DNS leak protection and an automatic kill switch, two features that help keep your identity and real location hidden. Data sent from your device is secured with 256-bit AES encryption to make it unreadable to third parties, and IPVanish’s zero-logging policy on all traffic ensures no one can get their hands on that data once it leaves their servers.
IPVanish offers a 7-day money back guarantee which means you have a week to test it risk-free. Please note that Addictive Tips readers can save a massive 60% here on the IPVanish annual plan, taking the monthly price down to only $4.87/mo.
Terrarium TV – Before Installing Alternatives
Before we start looking for a good alternative to Terrarium TV, we’ll need to do a few quick maintenance tasks on Kodi, just to make sure everything is ready to go.
What Did Terrarium TV Do?
Terrarium TV was, for years, a perfect solution for the rising costs of cable TV. Users could install the service and gain instant access to a massive variety of free TV and movie streams, many of which were in full 1080p HD. The app worked on Kodi, was fully compatible with Android, and could even be installed on Fire Stick with a quick sideloading process.
In addition to its streaming features, Terrarium TV was also extremely easy to use. The interface was smooth and responsive, and it came with a variety of extras that made users rely on it for their everyday entertainment, including the following:
- Bookmark TV series and movies
- Display sources in order of video quality
- Download files to view offline
- Full support for subtitles in multiple languages
- Native Chromecast support
- New TV show episode notifications
- Sort TV shows by country or language
- Support for Trakt.tv and Real-Debrid
Removing Terrarium TV from Kodi
A best practice for third party Kodi add-ons is to uninstall them the minute they’re shut down. Terrarium TV technically still works, but with the number of fakes popping up around the internet, you’re better off getting rid of the deprecated extension as soon as possible, as it’s only a matter of time before it stops working entirely.
Uninstalling Kodi add-ons is pretty simple, and the process is no different for Terrarium TV. If you need a hand getting rid of the outdated extension, see our guide on how to uninstall Kodi add-ons the right way.
Prepare Kodi for New Content
Kodi can manage and download repositories on its own–it’s one of the many things that makes the platform great. In order to do this, you need to toggle a setting to allow external sources to be accessed. This is necessary for installing any kind of third party content, including alternatives to Terrarium TV. In case your version of Kodi doesn’t have this switched on already, follow the steps below to get it ready to go.
- Open Kodi and click on the gear icon to enter the System menu
- Go to System Settings > Add-ons
- Toggle the slider next to the Unknown sources option
- Accept the warning message that pops up
Be Sure to Secure Your Device with a VPN
It’s impossible to overstress the importance of using a VPN with your Kodi installation. Not only does it protect you from invasive surveillance programs, it also ensures your data remains secure even in the event of a cyber attack. Once you’ve chosen a service to use (see our recommendation above), follow our guide on how to install a VPN on Kodi to get everything set up and ready to go.
Is it Safe to Install Kodi Add-ons?
The Kodi media center is completely free, safe, and legal to use. It doesn’t contain or provide direct access to any content whatsoever, making it exempt from any kind of copyright infringement laws. Add-ons and repositories for Kodi are generally safe to use, too, though some third party content does cross the line into questionable territory.
As long as you stick to official content and reliable repositories, you’re perfectly safe on Kodi. Taking basic security precautions is always a good idea, however. Keep your virus scanner active at all times, and make sure your operating system’s firewall is switched on. Also make sure your VPN is active and connected each time you look for add-ons or run Kodi itself.
Disclaimer: Unofficial Kodi add-ons may access videos and streams that are unlawful to view in your area. Addictive Tips does not condone piracy or any attempts at circumventing content regulations using Kodi, VPNs, or other methods.
Alternatives t0 Terrarium TV – Replacement Kodi Add-ons
While no service completely replicates the awesome features and resources of Terrarium TV, there are some Kodi add-ons that come remarkably close. Below are some of the best alternatives to Terrarium TV you can find.
The Maverick repo is one of the better Kodi resources for movies, TV shows, live sports, and so much more. It’s safe, reliable, and surprisingly easy to use. Once you install it you’ll have access to a massive variety of live and on-demand streams, many of which are in full HD and ready to go.
Follow the guide below to install the Maverick repository, followed by the Maverick TV add-on itself.
- Open Kodi and click the gear icon to enter the System menu.
- Go to System Settings > Add-ons.
- Toggle the slider next to the Unknown sources option. Make sure it’s white and to the right, allowing you to install third party repos.
- Accept the warning message that pops up.
- Open a web browser and go to the official Maverick repository.
- Download repository.maverickrepo-3.5.zip and save it somewhere convenient.
- Back in Kodi, go to the main menu and choose Add-ons.
- Click the box icon and select Install from Zip File.
- Navigate to where you saved repository.maverickrepo.zip
- From the open box menu, choose Install from repository.
- Scroll down and open the MaverickTV repository.
- Enter the Video add-ons folder.
- Look for the Maverick TV add-on in the list and click to install.
- Once the installation process completes, launch Maverick TV from the main add-ons menu, then enjoy your free TV and movie streams!
The Wumpa Fruit add-on is filled with movies, live streams, TV shows, and themed collections of content. The latter is the most valuable part of the extension, as it gives you fast access to new kinds of media, making discovery a breeze. With Wumpa Fruit, you’ll be able to watch popular movies, TV shows divided by genre and rating, box sets of kids content, entire movie series, sports archives, and a lot more.
Wumpa Fruit is created and maintained by the Bandicoot Builds team. To install it, you’ll need to add the group’s repository first, then get the add-on packaged inside. The whole process doesn’t take more than a few minutes.
- Open a browser window and visit http://coots.co/bcrepo/
- Look for repository.bandicoot-#.#.#.zip
- Download the zip file and save it somewhere easy to access, such as your desktop.
- Open Kodi and go to the main menu. Select the Add-ons entry on the navigation bar.
- Click the open box icon and scroll to select Install from Zip File.
- Navigate to the file you downloaded above and install it right away.
- Return to the open box menu and select Install from Repository.
- Scroll down and select the Bandicoot Builds Repository listed in yellow.
- Navigate to the Video add-ons folder inside. You should see Wumpa Fruit listed near the top. Click Wumpa Fruit, then install to add it to your system.
UK Turk Playlists
UK Turk Playlists is one of the Kodi community’s favorite resources for sports, movies, TV shows, foreign films, live TV, and everything in-between. It has long been a reliable add-on, and continues to thrive despite other veteran resources dropping off the face of the Earth. This fact alone makes UK Turk a fantastic replacement for Terrarium TV, though the sheer volume of content it offers also makes it worth installing in its own right.
To learn more about UK Turk or to install the add-on, check out our complete guide to installing UK Turk Playlists.
Not Sure Add-on
It’s an odd name for a Kodi add-on, but it works! Not Sure is a relatively new movie and TV show streaming resource that brings together a strong variety of live and on-demand content for a great all-around experience. Want live sports? Hollywood blockbusters? New TV series? Not Sure can deliver, and it manages to do a lot of this in HD quality, as well.
For a full guide to the Not Sure Kodi add-on, along with complete installation instructions, see our guide to installing Not Sure for Kodi.
It’s a great loss to the Kodi community for a powerful add-on like Terrarium TV to shut down. Fortunately, there are some amazing alternatives on the market, many of which provide unique and special functionality, all while delivering HD movie streams, access to TV series, and a wide selection of sports and live TV, all for free, and all at your fingers.
Have you used any of our recommended add-ons before? What do you miss most about Terrarium TV? Did you run into any trouble with our install instructions? Tell us about it below!