Finally the dev team has made an official release of the PwnageTool 4.0 for the purpose of authoring custom ipsw files for iOS 4.
The best factor associated with this tool is that not only you can create custom .ipsw files, but in fact these files can update your iPhone 3G/ 3GS without afflicting any baseband changes. Currently this PwnageTool 4.0 bundle is released for MAC users and doesn’t offer support for iPod Touch 3G.
Here is the detailed step by step guide on how to jailbreak your iPhone 3G/3GS with PwnageTool 4.0. Before starting on the procedure below, make sure that you have the latest iTunes Version on your Mac.
- The first step is to sync your iPhone with iTunes on your Mac. This is necessary because it will back-up all your data on the phone.
- Now download the PwnageTool 4.0 and original iOS 4.0 for your iPhone 3G and 3GS.
- Now launch PwnageTool 4.0 and select your device from the start screen.
- After this let the tool detect the current firmware version of your Device.
- After this you will get a prompt that will ask you if you have an iPhone 3GS contract for normal iTunes activation. Click No if you use carrier unlock for your iPhone and select yes if you are on an official career.
- Now the PwnageTool 4.0 will start building a custom .IPSW file for your iDevice.
- After the building procedure is over, PwnageTool will give you a “ihaz success” message.
- Once this is done, connect your iPhone or iPod Touch 2G and sync with iTunes. Now restore the custom firmware you created with PwnageTool with iTunes. [Hold “ALT” after clicking the phone icon in iTunes, now press restore to manually restore your iPhone to Custom ipsw]
- Now you have a fully jailbroken iOS 4 running on your iPhone 3G/ 3GS and iPod Touch 2G MC Model.
- If you need to unlock your iPhone 3G/ 3GS on iOS 4, then click here for a detailed unlock guide for any baseband.
Disclaimer: Please make sure that you have ample hands-on jailbreaking experience before trying your hands on this one. Addictivetips won’t be liable for any damages that may incur to your device during the process.
Update: PwnageTool Version 4.01 is now available which is more stable and also fixes iBooks issue on iPhone 3G and 3GS after jailbreak using PwnageTool Ver 4.0. You can click here to get the new PwnageTool Ver 4.01.