We just showed you how to make a Goldcard for HTC Desire and now, we will guide you through the process of creating it for the HTC Desire HD. If you have a carrier-branded Desire HD and want to be able to install official ROMs intended for other carriers on your phone, this guide is for you. Read on for the complete, detailed instructions.
This method is brought to us by MoDaCo Admin Paul and lets you easily create a GoldCard for your phone that lets you install any official HTC Desire HD ROM regardless of the carrier or region it is intended for. Here is the complete guide.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your SD card or phone becomes corrupt, damaged or unusable during the process.
- Spare microSD card.
- Windows PC (recommended).
ADB (Part of the Android SDK).Not required anymore; GoldCard Helper App is now used instead.
- HxD Hex Editor.
- GoldCard Helper app from Android Market.
- Format the microSD card to FAT32.
- Launch GoldCard Helper on your phone.
- Note down the ‘Card:mmc2, Reverse CID’ value, making sure to use mmc2 and not mmc1.
- Go to this page, enter the reverse CID from the previous step as well as your email address and submit the form. It will create create your goldcard image and email it to you.
- Open your mailbox and download the goldcard image to your computer.
- Launch HxD hex editor on your computer by right-clicking it and clicking ‘Run as Administrator’.
- Mount your SD card to your computer, preferably using a card reader but you can try using your phone as well.
- Go to ‘Extra’ menu > ‘Open Disk’.
- Select Removable Disk (which should be your SD card) under Physical Disk (and NOT logical disk), uncheck ‘Open as Readonly’ and click OK.
- Go to the ‘Extra’ > ‘Open Disk Image’ and open the goldcard image downloaded in Step 5.
- Select ‘512 (Hard disks/Floppy disks)’ as the sector size when prompted and click ‘OK’.
- In the goldcard image tab, go to ‘Edit’ > ‘Select All’ and then ‘Edit’ >’Copy’.
- In the ‘Removable Disk’ tab, highlight offset (line) 00000000 to offset (line) 00000170 including the 00000170 line and go to ‘Edit’ menu > ‘Paste Write’.
- Click ‘File’ > ‘Save’ and accept any warning that you get.
Congratulations – you should now have a gold card, enabling you to install official Android ROMs intended for other carriers on your carrier-branded HTC Desire HD. Note that if you want to flash custom ROMs, you will have to permanently root your HTC Desire HD instead.