Windows Phone 7 might not be able to fix on your oldie Blackstone, Diamond, Raphael etc, but that doesn’t actually end the world here for these handsets. Folks over at XDA have released a comprehensive tutorial on installing Android 2.2 Froyo on the above mentioned Windows Mobile devices along with HTC Raphael 800, Rhodium, Tilt and Topaz.
Installing Android on these devices might give a whole new meaning to their existence, as Android undoubtedly conquers all previous Windows Mobile / Windows 7 builds because of it’s usability along user experience quality. Previously it was thought that Android can only fix in the threshold on HTC HD2 but this myth is now debunked forever.
Please note that this method only applies on these devices (Although I have mentioned the names in first paragraph, but let’s list them so that no confusion remains intact).
- HTC Blackstone
- HTC Diamond
- HTC Diamond 500
- HTC Fuze
- HTC Raphael
- HTC Raphael 800
- HTC Rhodium
- HTC Tilt 2
- HTC Topaz
Here is the step by step guide on installing Android 2.2 Froyo on HTC Windows Mobile devices.
1. The first step is to prepare your SD card for this purpose. This can be done by purchasing a whole new decent capacity SD card or formatting your old card to make it entirely clean and as good as new. Please don’t forget to backup your personal data on your computer before embarking with formatting. Also note that you will need to format your SD card to FAT 32.
2. Once this is done, download the .CAB file and save it on your desktop. This cab file is a full pre-arranged and modded Android for your device and according to the developers, it does the following:
– Installs Android in the root of the SD Card
– Deploys the correct Startup.txt for the device (the user can choose their device type)
– Adds a high res icon for Android in the root of the SD Card
– Installs a shortcut in Program Files named "Android" (launches Haret.exe)
– Installs the high res icon in the registry for WM6.5 users
3. Once you have downloaded the Android Cab file, copy it to your SD Card root and install it through File Explorer in your Windows Mobile. Wait for the procedure to finish as the Cab file will implant a whole Android image for your device.
4. Once Android is installed, go to Windows > Program Menu and tap your stylus on Android. This will make your Windows Mobile reboot with 2 vibrating shudders one after an other.
5. Now in this step, you just need to wait and let your phone boot into Android. Please register the fact that sometimes it may take a long time [more than 3 minutes] on first boot into Android 2.2 Froyo. the booting delay is normally caused by Android, which is preparing your device to run for the first time on this OS.
6. Once your phone reboots into Android, you might be asked for screen calibration which is normal.
And there you go! Enjoy the delicacy of Froyo on your Windows Mobile phone.
Disclaimer: Please attempt this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips won’t be responsible in case your device bricks or any other damage occurs due to this method.