Just when you thought you had everything your Motorola Milestone could ever offer you, we’re here to let you know, there’s still more. The nightly release candidate builds for the famous Android 2.3 Gingerbread based CyanogenMod 7 is out for the Milestone and the latest release candidate, the RC3, already has over 16,500+ downloads in just 2 days. The ever popular release gives you an early taste of Gingerbread on your device, and is a lot closer to stability with most of the issues of the earlier releases already resolved.
Although CyanogenMod team have officially mentioned on the site that they are not officially supporting the CyanogenMod for the Milestone, they have done a pretty neat job porting the CM6 and would hopefully provide all their fans a working stable CM7 mod for the Milestone as well. If you want to try the release candidate, read on.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
What you’ll need:
- A rooted Motorola Milestone. (See how to root a Motorola Milestone)
- Latest CyanogenMod 7 Release Candidate 3 released 12th march 2011
- Latest version of Google Apps released 7th March 2011
- Open Recovery 1.46
- Extract Open Recovery 1.46 zip file.
- Copy “OpenRecovery” folder and “Update.Zip” to SD card.
- Copy the already downloaded custom ROM & latest Google Apps in SDcard\OpenRecovery\updates
Flashing CyanogenMod 7 RC3:
- Power off your phone.
- Power it back on While pressing the ‘X’ button on the Keyboard. Hold ‘X’ until you see a Triangle with an Exclamation mark on it, and then let go of ‘X’.
- Press & Hold the Volume up button and press the camera button. You’ll be taken to Android System Recovery <2e>.
- Using D-Pad as cursor & golden button in the middle as ‘Enter’ , Perform a ‘Wipe Data/Factory Reset’ & ‘Wipe Cache Partition’.
- Once done, apply SD card: update.zip.
- You will be taken to Motorola Milestone Open Recovery Version 1.46.
- In the menu, go to Nandroid > Backup All. This will place a backup of your current ROM in a folder called Nandroid on your SD card. Move it to a safe location later.
- Perform a wipe data/factory reset followed by wipe wipe cache partition and wipe Dalvik cache.
- Go to Apply Update, scroll to ‘update-cm-7.0.0-RC3-0.07-11.03.12-Milestone-signed.zip’ & apply.
- Scroll to ‘gapps-gb-20110307-signed’ and Apply.
- Go back to Main Menu and reboot system.
- The first boot will take sometime so please be patient.
Congratulations! you now have Gingerbread based CyanogenMod 7 installed on your phone.
For future developments and updates, please refer to the development website. In case of any issues that you can go to the Issue Tracker but before that please have a look at the
FAQ (seems to be down).