CyanogenMod 6.1.1 is the latest stable CyanogenMod release available for most Android devices and it is based on Android 2.2.1 FroYo. While the newer Androiid 2.3 Gingerbread based CyanogenMod 7 ROM has been out for several devices, it is not a final or stable release yet and is being worked upon. The following guide will help you install CyanogenMod 6.1.1 on your HTC Desire, Nexus One or other Android phone.
While we are primarily featuring CyanogenMod 6.1.1 here for HTC Desire and Google Nexus One, the method will work for most other Android devices as well. CyanogenMod 6.1.1 is our most favorite Android custom ROM because of the tons of features it offers while being light, fast, stable and reliable. The feature list is way too extensive for us to type so we are quoting it from the developer’s wiki instead.
- Android version: 2.2.1
- Kernel 2.6.34 with CFS
- Root access
- BusyBox tools
- Reboot menu – options to perform a reboot, reboot into recovery, or reboot into bootloader
- Input settings – Haptic feedback adjustments, trackball wake, menu unlock, music controls on lock screen
- Performance settings – surface dithering, JIT, VM heap size, and lock messaging in memory
- ADW Launcher
- Theming capabilities via ADW and built in XML theming
- Status bar customizations: Battery percentage display, custom colors, show/hide clock
- Custom Dialer (list differences)
- Customizable homescreen Power Widget
- Customizable Notification Power Widget
- Custom timeouts for “screen off” and “lock device”
- Custom CyanogenMod boot animation
- Custom CMWallpapers
- RenderFX color filter/overlay
- Please see the Barebones page for a list of apps that are included with CyanogenMod, including the optional Google Apps.
- OpenVPN support
- Support for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and USB tethering
- Large APN list
- Enable Bluetooth in Airplane mode
- Sound settings – Ability to always play notifications, ringtones, and alarms on speaker; specific volume levels; volume during music; and quiet hours
- DSP Equalizer
- FLAC support
- Custom Music Player
- gesture based navigation
- 5 widgets sizes with playback controls
- Better UI on the “Now Playing” page
- FM radio support for select devices
Camera and Camcorder enhancements
- Expanded settings
- Camcorder continuous autofocus
- Camcorder zoom while recording (along with other settings; NOT during 720p)
- Dual camera support
- Camera/camcorder continuous autofocus
- Camera Settings sliders
- Browser Incognito mode
- Languages supported: Arabic, etc.
- RTL scripts
- colored notifications per app: blend or cycle colors from different notification types
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
To install this ROM to your Android device, download the version for your device from the link given below (and the Google apps to go with this ROM if you want them), copy the zip file(s) to the root of your phone’s SD card, reboot your phone into recovery, take a nandroid backup, wipe data/factory reset if you are not already using a previous version of CyanogenMod and are coming from a different ROM, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache from the advanced menu, get back to the main recovery menu and wipe the ROM’s zip file from SD card. Then flash Google apps from the zip file too if you want them. If you are unfamiliar with any of these steps, refer to our detailed guide on how to install an Android ROM from recovery.
Download CyanogenMod 6.1.1 for HTC Desire GSM
Download CyanogenMod 6.1.1 for Google Nexus One
Download CyanogenMod 6.1.1 for other devices
Google Apps Package (Optional): HDPI | MDPI | Tiny (Get the HDPI version for devices with 480×800 or higher resolutions, Tiny for devices with very low resolutions (around 240 x 320) and MDPI for devices with resolutions between these)
We can’t give direct links to the downloads because they won’t work for you if you aren’t registered on CyanogenMod website. Registration is free and lets you download any file from there. When downloading CyanogenMod 6.1.1, make sure to get the file with a name similar to update-cm-6.1.1-X-signed.zip where X indicates the name or abbreviation of your device. Also make sure to download the file named ‘Google Addon HDPI-20101114’ for your device if you want Google Apps.