CyanogenMod is our favorite custom Android ROM and the latest version i.e. CyanogenMod 7, which is based on Android 2.3 Gingerbread, is now available for the HTC myTouch 4G (also known as HTC Glacier). Read on for our full installation instructions.
The ROM is currently under constant development and updates are rolling out every few days, hence the ‘nightly’ status. Though based on user feedback, it is stable enough to be used as your daily driver, with pretty much all the features working. If you’ve had enough details and want to get it up and running on your phone, we have you covered.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- A rooted HTC myTouch4G Device. (See how to permanently root HTC myTouch 4G [ADB Method])
- ClockworkMod Recovery installed (See how to install ClockworkMod recovery on HTC myTouch 4G)
- Latest CyanogenMod 7 Nightly for HTC myTouch4G
- Google Apps Package
- Download the ROM from the link given above and transfer it to your SD card.
- Power off your device.
- Press and hold the Volume Up button and press the Power button to enter into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Perform a Nandroid Backup, incase you want to move back to your current ROM.
- Wipe data, cache & Dalvik cache.
- Flash the ROM’s zip file from recovery.
- Wipe data, cache & Dalvik cache once more.
- If you want, flash the optional Google Apps package.
- Reboot your device once done.
That’s pretty much it – you should now have Gingerbread up and running on your phone in form of CM7 Nightly. Since this is a nightly build, we strongly recommend you to follow up with CyanogenMod team over at the HTC myTouch4G page for further updates and a final stable build. For the most frequent issues for this Nightly ROM, please head over the FAQ prepared on the XDA Developer’s forum thread.