Good news Samsung Vibrant owners – you no longer have to look with envy at your friends with other Android devices running the beautiful MIUI custom ROM as it has finally been ported to the Vibrant and you can install it on yours right away! Read on for our complete guide.
If you don’t know what MIUI ROM is, you sure are missing out on a lot of eye-candy! Check out our coverage of the MIUI ROM and you’ll see what we are talking about here. This version for Samsung Vibrant Galaxy S Series device is currently in beta stage and is brought to us by jumaaneface who has used as his source the MIUI ROM for Samsung Fascinate by jamezelle.
Apart from the looks and default goodies of MIUI, this Android 2.2 Froyo based custom ROM includes several fixes for the issues present in the initial alpha release, making it relatively stable for use. Google Apps, Market, Browser, Flash, external speakers, Wi-Fi, internal SD card, phone and SMS are fully working. Bluetooth is expected to work but hasn’t been tested yet while camera only works in black and white preview for now. GPS, data, camcorder and accelerometer aren’t working at the moment but as this is ongoing work, these are expected to be fixed sooner or later.
If you have had enough of the details and want to get straight to the installation, here are the instructions.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Rooted Samsung Vibrant. If yours isn’t rooted yet, see our Android rooting guide.
- ClockworkMod Recovery installed. Here’s how to install ClockworkMod recovery on Android devices.
- MIUI ROM (beta) for Samsung Vibrant.
If you have trouble following any of these instructions, see our Android ROM installation guide.
- Download the ROM from the link given above and copy it to the root of your internal SD card.
- Reboot your phone into recovery.
- Disable any/all lagfixes if you have enabled any on your phone.
- Wipe data, cache and Dalvik cache.
- Install the ROM’s zip file from SD card.
- Reboot your device. You should have the ROM running now.
- After 10 or so minutes of booting into the ROM, reboot it again and you’re done.
Enjoy the MIUI ROM on your Vibrant. If you come across any issues in this beta version and need help or if you want to offer the developer some help by reporting bugs, visit the XDA-Developers forum thread.