The news is now confirmed that iOS4 GM is being jailbroken right after one day of it’s release. The credit for this goes to Msft.guy, who along with some hacks and tweaks accomplished this Jailbreak. The jailbreak was done on iPhone 3GS with some pwnage tools that were previously used for fixing the blacksn0w for iPhone 3.1.3 carrying baseband 05.11.07.
The tweet describing the requirements for Jailbreak also wants users to update their Cydia and add OpenSSH etc to make this jailbreak work.
Although this seems to be a valid jailbreak courtesy this video here, but still we will recommend you to wait for the official dev team version of this tool to come out. Dev team has promised unlock and jailbreak official release in June and we can speculate that it will be somewhere after the iPhone 4 is released on the 24th of June to the public.
Update: The full step by step guide to jailbreaking iPhone 3G can be found here.
Update 2: The details on how to jailbreak iOS4 on 3GS using MAC have finally been released and here is the step-by-step guide:
- You will firstly need to downland the Jailbreak Bundle for iPhone 3GS plus pwnagetool 3.1.5 for Mac.
- You will also need RedSn0w beta 0.9.5 Beta 4 and iTunes 9.2 beta.
- Now once you are finished downloading all these tools, make sure to keep them in a directory together for easy access.
- Now go to contents and navigate through resources to Firmware Bundles.
- Once you are at the Firmware bundles, now copy the custome iPhone 2.1_4.0_8A293_bundle.bundle to the Firmware Bundles of the pwnagetool.app.
- Now go to the redsn0w app and click show package contents. Now navigate to the contents > Mac OS.
- After you are MacOS root directory, copy the cydia.tar.gz on your desktop and extract the file.
- After this you have to copy Cydia into the pwnage tool app. Just right click on the pwnagetool.app and browse to Contents> Resources> CustomPackages. Now click cydiainstaller.bundle and over-write all files with the ones you got for Redsn0w 0.9.5 Beta 4.
- Now you need to load the pwnagetool.app and have to create the iOS 4.0 custom Firmware for iPhone 3GS
- Once you get the custom .ipsw, restore your iPhone to iOS4.0 using iTunes.
This is all you need to do to jailbreak iOS 4 running on iPhone 3G. This is a very complicated method that will require you to be well-known to jailbreaking phenomenon. We will advise on waiting for the one-click tool to emerge from Dev team, which is expected after 24th June 2010.
Disclaimer: Please make sure that you have ample hands-on jailbreaking experience before trying your hands on this one. Addictivetips won’t be liable for any damages that may incur to your device during the process