The number of people working remotely has gone up and tools that are normally used for remote work have seen a surge in users. Online web conferencing tools have seen perhaps the starkest increase in users.
Do you need a Zoom account to join a meeting?
There are quite a few different web conferencing tools; Zoom, Skype, Google Meet, Microsoft Teams, Slack, Discord, and more. Different organizations use different tools and it is unrealistic to have or create an account for every single service if you need to attend a meeting.
If you have to join a Zoom meeting, but you do not have a Zoom account, you don’t necessarily need one to join it. You can join a meeting without signing in i.e., as a guest.
Join Zoom meeting without account
To join a Zoom meeting without an account, you need;
- A desktop computer with a modern web browser installed
- A link to the meeting
- The password to the meeting if it isn’t already included in the invite or the link that has been shared with you (ask the meeting host)
To join a meeting, follow these steps;
- Copy the link to the meeting to your clipboard.
- Open a web browser and paste the link in it.
- Dismiss the option to open or install the Zoom desktop app.
- Click the Launch Meeting button.
- Click the Join from your browser link.
- Enter a name that you will join with.
- Enter the password if prompted.
- Allow the website to access your camera and mic.
- Click Join.
- Wait for the host to allow you to join.
When you join a Zoom meeting without signing into a Zoom account, you’re forced to do so from the web app. This means you’re effectively blocked from using the desktop Zoom app unless you create an account.
- You cannot share your screen
- You cannot record a meeting
- Save images/files that are sent
We don’t necessarily endorse creating an account for every single web conference tool you have to use. That said, if there is a tool you use often and you have trouble with the limited features that are available to users without an account, consider creating one. As for Zoom, you can use a free account to get all the benefits of the desktop client. A paid account is needed if you host a lot of meetings. A free account will allow you to create and schedule meetings however, the meetings will be time-boxed into 40-minute segments.