Web apps have come a long way. Browsers today are powerful and internet connections are generally faster with more bandwidth allowing for cloud-based apps. Users can collaborate in real-time and they do not need anything other than a web browser.
That said, you still find that desktop apps are more powerful than web apps for the simple reason that browsers are rarely as powerful or specialised for a specific app type.
Download Google Meet
Google Meet is one of three popular online web conferencing tools, with Zoom and Microsoft Teams, that has seen a surge in users. The free version of Google Meet has some great features; screen sharing, large meeting rooms, and background blur.
It stands to reason that Google Meet will work much like other popular web conferencing tools and that there will be a desktop app to go with it. This isn’t true. As far as Google Meet is concerned;
- There is no dedicated desktop app for Google Meet for any OS.
- Google Meet is used exclusively through a web browser on the desktop.
- Official Google Meet apps for iOS and Android are available.
- For best results, you should use Chrome to host or join a Google Meet meeting.
Create Chrome app
Google Meet does not have a dedicated desktop app. Its capabilities are limited to whichever browser you use it in though you will find that any browser other than Chrome offers a lesser experience.
If you often use Google Meet to host a meeting or join one, it’s a good idea to create a Chrome app for it. A Chrome app can be pinned to the taskbar or the Dock, you can use it to open Google Meet, and it will open in a window of its own, separate from the Chrome browser session you have open.
- Visit Google Meet in Chrome.
- Click the more options (three dots) button at the top right.
- Select More Tools>Create Shortcut.
- Give the Shortcut a name (Google Meet) is best.
- Enable the Open as Window option.
- Click Create.
Pin Google Meet to Start Menu/Taskbar/Dock
Once the app has been created, you should pin it to the taskbar or Start Menu or the Dock (macOS) for quicker access.
On Windows 10;
- Navigate to the Google Meet app that you’ve just created.
- Right-click it and select Pin to Start and/or Pin to Taskbar from the context menu.
- Open the Google Meet Chrome app that you created.
- Right-click the icon in the Dock.
- Select Options>Keep in Dock.
Download Google Meet – Mobile
For iOS and Android, Google Meet has official apps available.
Many users are surprised to learn that Google Meet has no desktop app. It’s a popular video conferencing tool and many users have used it for non-work related meetings. Google has not indicated that it will be developing a desktop app any time soon.