Microsoft Teams lets users set their status to ‘Do not disturb’. When this status is set, a user will only receive alerts from priority contacts, and for urgent messages.
Do not disturb applies a blanket policy to all messages that are sent and it’s useful if you’re trying to avoid distractions but there are no fine-grain controls for managing alerts.
Snooze a message in Microsoft Teams
Microsoft Teams has channels. Messages are sent over those channels and under each message, a threaded conversation takes place. For each message that’s sent over a thread, a user gets a notification.
For a given channel, users can customize what triggers an alert but for a message, users can only enable or disable notifications. What many users may not know is that Microsoft Teams, much like Slack, has bots.
These bots can help manage notifications and, more precisely, snooze them.
1. Install Snooze bot
- Visit Snooze Bot and click Get it now.
- Sign in with the admin account for Microsoft Teams.
- When prompted to, open the Microsoft Teams app or visit the web app in your browser.
- Click Add.
- Select the Team you want to add the bot for, or add it for only one-on-one messages.
2. Use Snooze Bot to snooze messages
Now that you’ve added Snooze Bot to your Microsoft Teams’ team, you can use it to snooze a message in any team channel.
- Find the message you want to snooze.
- Click the more options (three dots) button.
- Select More Actions>Snooze bot.
- Select how long you want to snooze the message.
- Click OK.
- When the snooze time expires, Snooze Bot will send you a message.
- Click it to go to the Snooze Bot channel/thread in Microsoft Teams.
- Click ‘Go to message’ to jump straight to the snoozed message.
- Click Snooze again to select a new snooze time for the message.
3. Mute channel or message
If you’re interested in turning off notifications for an entire channel in Microsoft Teams, you can. Click the more options button next to a channel, and select the Turn off notifications option. This option can likewise be applied to a message in Teams without needing Snooze Bot.
The difference between muting a message and snoozing it is that you will eventually be reminded about the snoozed message at some point. If you’re unable to follow a conversation because you’re busy, snoozing a thread will allow you to get back to it when you have time.