Photoshop saves files in its own format i.e., PSDs but it supports a large number of image formats. It can open images in these formats and it can also export an image/file to formats other than PSD. It can, for example, save a file to formats normally used in webpages like JPG and PNG.
Adobe Save for Web Error
The formats, known as web formats, are not listed in the Save dialog for a Photoshop file. Instead, you have to go through the Save for web dialog box. It is buried under the Export option and is an old/legacy option that many users still use. You can get to it more quickly with the Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S keyboard shortcut.
If you’re trying to save an image for web, but you get an error, try the fixes below.
FIX: Save for web error (Photoshop)
1. Save as JPEG/PNG
If you’re using a newer version of Photoshop, you don’t need to use the Save for Web option. It is deprecated. You can instead use the Save as option.
- Open the Photoshop file.
- Go to File>Save as.
- Open the Save as Type dropdown and select JPEG.
- Click Save.
2. Reset Photoshop preferences
Photoshop allows users to change all sorts of settings in the app. The settings are saved to a user profile but the profile can be corrupted causing problems with the Save for web feature. You can reset Photoshop’s preferences, follow these steps.
- Close Photoshop.
- Tap and hold the Alt+Control+Shift keyboard shortcut and open Photoshop.
- Photoshop will open with the preferences reset.
3. Restart Photoshop with new Scratch disk
If Photoshop’s scratch disk is full, it may not be able to save an image for the web. You can create a new scratch disk on the fly and then save the image.
- Close the Photoshop file.
- Press and hold the Ctrl+Alt keys and open Photoshop.
- Use the File>Open option to open the file you want to save.
- Tap the Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S option to save the file as a web image.
The Save as web option is more or less at the end of its life. You can easily save a PSD file as PNG, JPG, GIF, etc and embed the color profile in the process. The file cannot be resized when it’s saved as a different format so it’s not an exact replica of the feature. There are definitely some options missing and you will need to edit the file after it’s been saved or before.