Instagram started as a platform for sharing photos but it has turned into a social network in its own right. With any social network, users have to manage their audience i.e., who to befriend or who can follow you. Social media is built on a network of people that you connect to but that doesn’t necessarily mean you have to follow everyone or be friends with everyone.
How to Block Someone on Instagram
Instagram has a block feature that allows you to ban a user from seeing anything and everything you post. If someone is constantly spamming your posts, or generally being hostile, you can block them. There are two ways to block someone on Instagram.
Block from comment/post
- Open the Instagram app on your phone.
- Go to a post that has a comment from the user you want to block.
- Swipe left on the comment.
- Tap the exclamation button.
- Select Block from the menu.
Block from user profile
You can block a user from their profile.
- Use the search bar to find the user you want to block.
- Tap the more options button at the top right.
- Select Block from the menu.
What Happens When You Block Someone on Instagram?
If you’re wondering what happens after you block someone on Instagram, it’s all fairly basic and follows the norms of blocking on social media.
- The comments left by the blocked user are all deleted.
- The likes left by the blocked user are removed.
- Conversations i.e., messages that have been sent by the blocked user to your inbox are not deleted. You can go back and read the conversation again.
- The blocked user cannot message you.
- You cannot message the blocked user.
- The blocked user cannot see any of your posts.
- The blocked user cannot leave comments on your posts.
- The blocked user cannot like any of your posts.
- The blocked user cannot tag you in a post.
- The blocked user cannot mention you in their story.
- The blocked user is removed from your Followers list i.e., no longer follows you.
- You can no longer see posts from a blocked user.
- You cannot leave comments on the blocked user’s posts.
- You cannot like a post by the blocked user.
Can you unblock a user on Instagram?
A block isn’t irreversible. You can unblock a user once you’ve blocked them.
- Open Instagram and go to your profile tab.
- Tap the gear icon and select Settings from the menu.
- Select Privacy.
- Scroll down and tap Blocked accounts.
- Tap the Unblock button next to the account you want to unblock.
What should I do if someone has blocked me on Instagram?
If you’ve been blocked by someone on Instagram, there isn’t much you can do about it. Follow these tips.
- Leave the person who blocked you alone.
- Don’t try to talk to them.
- They don’t want to talk to you.
- Do not create another profile and use it to follow or interact with them.
- Don’t look for them on other social media sites/apps.
- Remember that stalking is illegal.
Instagram has a shadowban for users you want to block covertly. The user can’t tell they’ve been blocked and will think they’re being ignored by you and everyone else that interacts with you.
That said, if someone bothers you too much, a hard block is the way to go.