One thing you can’t blame Apple for is dropping software support for their devices too quickly. Admittedly, newer iDevices have been coming out thick and fast lately, but official iOS support for last two or three generations of devices isn’t too bad in many people’s book. Though if you have an older iPhone or iPod touch that got ditched by Apple, you can find solace in Whited00r. If you don’t know already, Whited00r is a service that lets people with legacy iOS devices enjoy the best features of latest iOS versions. Previously we covered Whited00r 5.1, which contained some of the most popular iOS 5 features. In the latest developments, the team behind this super useful tool has come up with Whited00r 6, an iOS 6 port of sorts that works with legacy iOS devices.
Before you read any further, here is a list of all the devices that are compatible with the latest version of Whited00r.
- iPhone 2G
- iPhone 3G
- iPod touch 1G
- iPod touch 2G (only MB model)
It goes without saying that if you are not a big fan of Cydia store, Whited00r is not for you, since it automatically jailbreaks your device. However, this does not mean that you need to have an iPhone that is already jailbroken. Whited00r 6, like all of its predecessors, works with any device regardless of its jailbreak status. Having said that, you have to take special care if your iPhone is not factory unlocked. You can still use Whited00r even if that is the case, but you will need to download the appropriate version, so remember to read our instructions carefully.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Download the appropriate version of Whited00r 6 firmware file for your device. You don’t have to sweat too much if you own an iPod touch, but iPhone users have to decide whether they want to download the ‘Normal’ version or the ‘Unlocked’ one. All Whited00r files are available at the link provided at the end of this post.
- If you are willing to sacrifice all the data stored in your phone, you aren’t likely to run into many problems. If there is something important in the device though, back it up first using iTunes. The developers behind Whited00r have advised against restoring from an iTunes backup once you have gone through with this procedure, so this step will only come in handy in emergency situations.
- The next step is to flash the Whited00r firmware file to your device. Connect your iPhone/ iPod touch to the computer via USB and wait for iTunes to detect it. Now go to the device’s General page in iTunes.
- You will now have to manually select the firmware file for restoration. On Windows, this can be done by holding the Shift key before hitting restore, while the Mac shortcut is Alt/Option + Restore.
- Select the Whited00r file and wait till iTunes finishes flashing it fully. Your device might restart a few times during the process.
As always, Whited00r does not port the whole iOS 6, but you will get almost all of its noteworthy features. The developers have tried their best to optimize the firmware for these devices as much as possible, but some of you might still experience a bit of lag. So, if you are willing to take all these risks in exchange for some serious iOS 6 goodness, head over to the link below, download the Whited00r version for your device, and get it up and running.
Official Whited00r Website