The Aptoide customizable Android app store is a free and highly useful alternative to using Google Play or the Amazon App Store to install games to your Fire TV. The chief advantage is the ability to add non-standard content to the store and install it directly to your device, no sideloading required. This means you can install programs like Stremio or Kodi directly to your Fire Stick, along with countless other third party games and media resources.
The only limitation to Aptoide is that it doesn’t natively support Fire TV. This isn’t really a problem, however, as Fire Stick and other Amazon Fire devices run a modified version of Android, meaning it’s perfectly compatible with Aptoide. By following our tutorial below, you can install Aptoide on your Fire Stick and use it to access countless apps on your favorite device. We’ll also teach you how to stay safe when streaming any content online with a VPN. Read on!
- 1 Finding the Best VPNs for Fire TV and Aptoide
- 2 Best VPNs for Aptoide and Fire Stick
- 3 How to Install Aptoide on Fire Stick and Fire TV
- 4 How to Create a Custom Aptoide Store
- 5 Fix the “App Not Working” Error with Aptoide
- 6 Conclusion
How to get a FREE VPN for 30 days
If you need a VPN for a short while when traveling for example, you can get our top ranked VPN free of charge. ExpressVPN includes a 30-day money-back guarantee. You will need to pay for the subscription, that’s a fact, but it allows full access for 30 days and then you cancel for a full refund. Their no-questions-asked cancellation policy lives up to its name.
Finding the Best VPNs for Fire TV and Aptoide
Are you relatively new to the world of VPNs? They probably seem complicated and confusing, but in reality they’re not all that difficult to use. VPN companies have gone to great lengths to make them as easy to use as possible, especially on devices like Fire TV. All you really need to do is install an app and the VPN takes care of the rest.
But how do you know your VPN is worth your time and money? How do you make sense of all the encryption protocols, privacy policies, and other details? We’ve simplified the research process for you by including some of the most important selection criteria below, followed by a list of the best VPN services to use with Fire TV. This will make your VPN journey as straightforward and painless as possible.
VPN Selection Criteria
To ensure you get the best balance of features, pay close attention to the list of selection criteria below. These are the most important things you should consider when looking for a good VPN to use with a Fire Stick, and they’re the same criteria we used to make our recommendations below.
- Device compatibility – If a VPN doesn’t support Fire TV, you can’t use it.
- Fast downloads – All VPNs add some overhead to your connection via the encryption process, but the best providers have optimized their methods for minimal slowdown.
- Network size – The more servers a VPN runs, the more connection options are at your disposal.
- Zero-logging policy – A strict zero-logging policy for true online privacy and security is the only way to use a VPN.
Best VPNs for Aptoide and Fire Stick
And now it’s time to get a good VPN! We tested the best services on the market to find out which ones are perfect for using on your Fire TV device. Feel free to grab any of the VPNs below, you can’t go wrong with any of them!
1 – ExpressVPN – Fast and User-Friendly
ExpressVPN is a lightweight, fast and reliable VPN that’s been in business for years. The company runs a network of over 2,000 servers in 94 countries around the world, each offering speedy connections to everyone. This builds an instantly appealing network for users, as you won’t have to wait for buffering screens or other delays while loading movie streams. ExpressVPN is also a trustworthy service that thousands of customers use on a daily basis. It’s got speed, security, privacy, and usability, all the features you need for a good VPN!
This providers privacy features are second to none. Data is protected with 256-bit AES encryption and backed by a zero-logging policy on traffic, DNS requests, and IP addresses. There’s also both DNS leak protection and an automatic kill switch to deliver a reliable safety net in case of an accidental disconnect.
ExpressVPN is one of the easiest VPNs to use with Fire TV. All you have to do is install the app directly from the Fire TV marketplace and you’re good to go!
Check out our full ExpressVPN review for more info about the VPN’s amazing features!
- Unblocks US Netflix, BBC iPlayer and other streaming services
- Super fast servers
- Supports ALL devices
- No logging policy well enforced
- Customer Service (24/7 Chat).
- Expensive month-to-month plan.
2 – NordVPN – Fast Speeds, Powerful Protection
NordVPN sports the largest server network on the market by far. The list is constantly growing, but right now users have access to over 4,900 servers in 62 different countries around the world. You’ll always be able to snag a fast connection with NordVPN, and you’ll get extra protection through double encryption, obfuscated, and anti-DDoS servers when needed, too.
NordVPN provides a thorough zero-logging policy that covers everything from bandwidth to time stamps, traffic to IP addresses. Your activity is never recorded or shared with third parties while using NordVPN. Backing these features is 256-bit AES encryption on all data, an automatic kill switch, DNS leak protection, and a host of customizable encryption features.
Learn more about the NordVPN experience in our full NordVPN review.
- Best Budget Choice
- Extensive server park of over 5,400 different servers
- No IP/DNS leaks found
- Based in Panama
- Customer Service (24/7 Chat).
- Can't specify City or Province in App.
3 – PureVPN – Privacy and Much More
PureVPN is a full-featured VPN that does more than just protect your data and identity. The service delivers an all-in-one security suite that hides you and your devices from online dangers of all types. With PureVPN, you get instant access to anti-virus protection, malware shields, app blocking features, and DNS website filtering, all wrapped into one secure package. All you have to do is download the easy to use VPN software, choose the extra protections you’d like to turn on, and you’re set!
PureVPN offers useful security features that keep you safe online, as well. It starts with a zero-logging policy on traffic, an automatic kill switch, solid 256-bit AES encryption on all data, and DNS leak protection. These work alongside the company’s self-owned network of 750 servers in 180 different countries, providing a ton of options for fast, safe, and secure connections.
Need a hand installing PureVPN on your Fire TV or Fire Stick? We’ve got a handy guide that walks you through the entire process. It’s much easier than you might think!
How to Install Aptoide on Fire Stick and Fire TV
Got your VPN installed and set? Now you’re ready to install some third party apps on your Fire TV! Follow the instructions below to get the store set up on your device in just a few minutes.
Start on your Fire Stick’s home screen, the default area you see each time you turn on your TV. Go to Settings and scroll right until you get to the System options. Scroll down and click Developer Options. Make sure the setting marked “ADB Debugging and Apps from Unknown Sources” is toggled on. If it’s not, do that now, as it’s required before you can install any non-standard content to your Fire TV.
Now go back to the home screen and click on the Search box at the top. In order to install Aptoide we’ll need to use a different app that’s capable of fetching non-local content and adding it remotely. In the search section, type Downloader APK. Install it to your system, then launch it from the Apps & Games section on the main menu.
Note: There are multiple programs you can use to install third party content (sideload) to your Fire TV. If you don’t want to use Downloader, check out our guide comparing download methods for Fire TV.
Run the Downloader app and choose the download option inside. You’ll be prompted to enter a URL. Type in the following address exactly as it appears:
The Aptoide web page will open in the Downloader app. Scroll down and click Install Aptoide TV. The apk file will start downloading to your Fire Stick. After it completes, the Downloader app will prompt you to install it. Do so immediately.
Now that Aptoide is downloaded, you’re ready to launch and enjoy fresh new content! You can enter your own store’s custom URL to install your favorite apps (see below), or peruse Aptoide’s 375,000 other stores to discover new apps from there. If there’s a specific piece of software you need on your Fire TV, custom stores are a good idea. If you’re just looking for cool new things to try, browse Aptoide and see what you can uncover!
How to Create a Custom Aptoide Store
Adding Aptoide to your Fire Stick is only the first step. To actually use apps like Streemio and Kodi, you’ll need to include them in your custom Aptoide profile. Follow the steps below to get things set up and ready to download.
- Start by going to the Aptoide home page, preferably on a PC web browser.
- Click the Log In button at the top of the screen, followed by Register.
- Enter your account details in the boxes provided, including a valid e-mail address.
- Click the verification link sent by Aptoide and complete the registration process.
- Log in to the Aptoide website.
- In a separate browser window, download the apk you want to add to your custom app store. This can be a third party game, a media center app like Kodi, or anything in between. Just make sure it’s compatible with Android and you’re fine.
- Upload the content to Aptoide. It will be made available on your personalized app store in a few moments.
- When you launch the Aptoide app on your Fire Stick, all you need to do is choose your store URL, then download and install anything you like.
Fix the “App Not Working” Error with Aptoide
Installing third party content to Fire TV isn’t a flawless process. Problems can arise from time to time, most of which can be fixed with a quick little trick. If you encounter any problems when launching Aptoide on your Fire Stick, go through the steps below and it should set everything right.
- After installing and attempting to launch Aptoide, go back to the Fire TV main menu.
- Navigate to Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications.
- Choose Aptoide from the list.
- Clear the application from the next menu. This can fix performance and slowdown issues when they arise.
- Try launching Aptoide again. If it doesn’t work, go back to the menu above, then force close the app.
- Try launching Aptoide one last time. If it still doesn’t follow through, you may need to uninstall and reinstall it using the instructions above.
Ready to dive in and make the most of Aptoide? The free custom app store creator offers a lot of flexibility for Fire TV and Fire Stick users. It’s a great way to get custom content to your device without going through the sideloading process over and over again.
Did you find our guide useful? If you run into any trouble, leave us a comment below, and we’ll help you out!