Whether you are a British expat working abroad, or just someone who loves films and TV show streaming, you’ve likely heard of Sky Go. Launched in 2006, Sky Go features some of the U.K.’s most notable cable channels, ranging from Sky Sports to the Disney Channel. Unfortunately, the service is only available for users in the U.K., so if you are located in Canada, the subscription will not be available to you.
In order to stream content from Sky Go anywhere in the world, including Canada, you will need a VPN. A VPN service will not only help you bypass these geographical restrictions but make your browsing as secure as possible. In this article, we will identify key criteria in choosing the best VPN service, give you our top recommendations, and provide you with step-by-step instructions on getting started.
Find the best VPN to watch Sky Go in Canada
In order to get you started and help you pick the best VPN provider for using Sky Go, we’ve gathered criteria you should base your decision on. Prior to reading about services available with every provider, prioritize your VPN needs and consider them while reading in-depth reviews in the next section.
- UK servers – in order to get Sky Go working seamlessly while you are located abroad, you will need a VPN that has proxy servers within the UK. These same servers will also help if you want to watch BBC iPlayer and other British streaming services.
- Quick connection – connection speed is important for streaming videos, so if you are looking to watch content on Sky Go, look for fast VPN services. Using a VPN will inevitably slow down your connection as a result of encryption, but with a good provider, you will hardly notice the difference.
- Zero-logging policy – a no-logging policy will make sure that none of your information or history, including timestamps and IP addresses, is stored. This will prevent your data logs from getting into the hands of interested third parties and ISPs.
- Strong encryption – opt for a VPN provider that uses strong encryption as a default. This will keep all your information protected, which is especially important for your passwords, credit card information, and any other sensitive details that you wouldn’t want to get into the wrong people’s hands.
Top VPN providers for watching Sky Go
We’ve identified the top four VPNs for unblocking Sky Go in Canada in the following list:
ExpressVPN is ideal for all users who prioritize privacy and speed. With a network consisting of 2,000+ servers in 94 countries, the provider lives up to its name and practically guarantees the fastest speed on the market. Furthermore, they constantly update the network with new servers to make sure there’re always enough to serve new and current tusers.
ExpressVPN is also noteworthy due to its easy-to-use software, round-the-clock support, and an excellent track record of unblocking websites and services (including SkyGo). The unlimited bandwidth, as well as no speed caps or throttling, makes this provider a solid choice for streaming videos. As an added bonus, you can connect up to three devices to the VPN service without any additional charges. This is ideal since Sky Go offers up to two, giving you another device to spare. The app is available for a range of operating systems and devices, including Windows, MacOS, Linux and Android.
ExpressVPN does not slack on safety either. By using OpenVPN’s 256-bit AES encryption, the provider offers the most reliable security features on the market as a default. Furthermore, the no-logging policy ensures that the only information they keep on you as a user is the servers users connect to and the date of connection. Regardless, this information cannot be traced back to you.
To learn more about the service, just read our ExpressVPN review.
- SPECIAL OFFER: 3 months free (49% off - link below)
- Super fast servers (minimal speed loss)
- Secure encryption & VPN protocols
- No logs for personal data
- Great customer service via chat.
- Power-users configuration options.
NordVPN is a great choice for users looking for a fast, stable, and reliable VPN connection. With the largest server network in the industry, consisting of 5,000+ servers across 62 countries, NordVPN is perfect for all globetrotters, expats, and tourists looking to bypass regional blocks and access a bigger variety of online content. As an added bonus, NordVPN’s list of servers is expanding all the time, letting you enjoy even more foreign IPs and content libraries. The apps that come with the service are very easy to use, so you can start watching content on Sky Go within minutes even if you have never used a VPN before. The service is available on a wide range of devices and operating systems, including Windows (10, 8, 7, Vista, XP), MacOS, and even routers.
Security-wise, NordVPN uses the 256-bit AES encryption, making your data, identity and devices virtually unassailable. Specific encryption protocols include OpenVPN’s UDP and TCP, L2TP, PPTP and others for maximum flexibility in bypassing censorship and regional blocks.. Furthermore, NordVPN’s logging policy is considered to be one of the most comprehensive on the market. The provider keeps no logs on traffic, IP addresses, and even browsing history. Last but not least, an array of specialty servers – like Double Encryption, Onion over VPN, and anti-DDoS – is good for users who want to be sure that Sky doesn’t catch on to them using Sky Go abroad.
To learn more about NordVPN and see the speed tests we ran with it, check out our NordVPN review.
- Optimized servers for unblocking Netflix
- Extensive server park of over 5,400 different servers
- DNS leak protection, kill switch
- Strict zero logs policy on both traffic and metadata
- Money back guarantee policy (30-days).
- Apps can be a bit cumbersome to use.
CyberGhost’s main focus as a VPN service is ease of use, reliability and user privacy. The provider has a network of 3,000+ proxy servers in 61 countries, including the UK, which makes it ideal for users looking to stream videos from any location in the world. Another important advantage is that this provider has unlimited bandwidth, no speed caps and high connection speeds, making it perfect for video streaming. Furthermore, you can connect up to 5 devices to this service under one subscription. If you want to connect your iPhone, PC, tablet, and router to the VPN, you still have a connection you can use with SkyGo – which is rather generous.
As a default security feature, CyberGhost uses a 256-bit AES encryption via OpenVPN, offering other feature options for advanced users. These include the automated HTTPS redirection, ad blocking, data compression, and more. Another important feature is the no-logging policy, which keeps your information protected from potential leaks. The only information this provider stores on users is log-in events once a day; even your email address does not get stored.
Read more details about the security features in our full review of CyberGhost.
- Unblocks US Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Hulu
- Compatible with TOR
- Versatile and user-friendly
- Strict no-logs policy
- 45-days money back guarantee.
- WebRTC leak detected
- Can’t unblock some popular streaming sites.
PrivateVPN is great for quick server connections and excellent security features. With a network covering 57 countries around the world, including the UK, PrivateVPN will give you the IPs you need to watch videos on Sky Go. The service also gives you unlimited bandwidth, unmonitored access to torrents, and no limitations on server switching. Moreover, PrivateVPN is easy to install on all modern operating systems, including video game consoles – which makes it convenient for users with multiple devices.
Security-wise, PrivateVPN comes with multiple encryption settings can be changed depending on your needs. While PrivateVPN offers the 256-bit encryption as a default, you have the option to step down to 128-bit if what you are looking for is the fastest connection available with a VPN. Specific protocols include UDP, TCP, PPTP, and L2TP. There are also extra security features, like the kill switch which shuts down your apps and browsers if your VPN drops, preventing your ISP from seeing your information. This is handy if you want to prioritize privacy while using a UK IP from Canada.
To learn more about PrivateVPN’s features, check out our PrivateVPN review.
Get started with a VPN to watch Sky Go from Canada
Once you have decided which VPN provider you want to go with, it will take a mere few minutes to set up the service and start streaming content from Sky Go. Whether you are a rookie or an experienced user, do not worry – this process does not require any prior IT knowledge.
- Installing the VPN – Sign up for a VPN service and make sure to remember your new account details, including the password. In order to get the app working, you will need to download software for the right device and operating system.
- For example, if you are using an iPhone, you will need an app that is compatible with iOS on smartphones. This step may redirect you to your operating system’s app store.
- Choosing a server in the UK – Upon launching the app and logging in with your new account information, most VPNs will automatically assign you with the fastest available server. However, you need to make sure you connect to a server within the UK. This is because Sky Go is only available for users in the UK and you will need a British IP address to be able to use the service.
- Every provider is different; however, within every VPN app you will be able to see the server you selected under the “Servers” section. Alternatively, have a look at the map (if available) and choose a location within the UK without the server list. The best way to make sure you have a strong connection is picking the fastest available server in the UK.
- Running an IP leak test – This step can be omitted, but we recommend to do this in order to make sure your connection is, in fact, secure. Go on https://ipleak.net; this page will run an automatic IP address lookup test and only take a few minutes.
- If the VPN is working the way it should be and you were, in fact, given an IP address from the UK, then you will see that under “Your IP Addresses”. If, however, you still see Canada in that list, then you need to contact your provider about a potential leak.
- Loading Sky Go from Canada – Now that you have installed, turned on and verified your VPN, you are ready to load up Sky Go and enjoy massive varieties of video content.
- Download the Sky Go app, and you will be given instant access to all of Sky Go’s channels. Prior to doing so, you may need to activate a subscription if you are not already a Sky customer.
What is Sky Go and what can I watch on it?
If the name “Sky Go” doesn’t immediately ring a bell, it is possibly because it used to be known as Sky Player – an excellent online TV service provided by UK’s Sky. Launched in 2006, the service allows you to watch any on-demand video content, including live broadcasts, sports highlights, movies and TV series. Although the content on Sky Go is only available for short periods of time due to licensing reasons, it is available for free for all people who use the Sky service.
Whether you are looking to watch video content from your PC, smartphone, or even game console, Sky Go has incredibly wide software availability. You can also use the service on up to two devices, or even four if you upgrade for a small fee. So, the next time you are in the office or at a dinner party and you feel like you’re missing out on a big match or the most recent Game of Thrones episode, all you need to do is find a quiet place where you can enjoy Sky Go on your phone.
The variety of content available is what makes this service particularly unique – almost all available channels within the UK, with the exception of BBC, can be found on Sky Go. This includes specialized channels such as National Geographic, Comedy Central, TLC, Star Plus, and Gold. More generic channels include Sky Cinema for films, Sky Sports for all sports content and the Disney Channel for kids (amongst others). If you can’t find what you’re looking for, you can use all the VPNs on this page to access other services like Hulu, Netflix, etc.
Won’t a free VPN work just fine?
When it comes to establishing a secure connection, there is no room for compromise on quality. While it is tempting to opt for a free VPN service, there is always a catch. Every free VPN service provider will promise the fastest possible connection, anonymity, and free access to video streams from anywhere in the world – but can they be trusted?
In a word, “no”. Whether you are looking to access Sky Go from Canada or simply increase your online privacy, it is worth paying the small fee. Free VPN services do not employ a no-logging policy, which means that your information is stored and often sold to the highest bidder. Other free VPN providers install malware on your computer, use your processing power for botnet attacks, and worse.
Looking to stream videos, watch the news, films and TV shows? Sky Go is a great tool that will allow you to watch your favorite content anywhere in the world. However, to do so, you will need to choose one of our recommended VPN providers. Result? A fast, secure connection that will keep your streaming fast and information private.
What are you going to watch with your new Sky Go connection? Leave us your comments down below.
If you need a VPN for a short while when traveling for example, you can get our top ranked VPN free of charge. NordVPN includes a 30-day money-back guarantee. You will need to pay for the subscription, that’s a fact, but it allows full access for 30 days and then you cancel for a full refund. Their no-questions-asked cancellation policy lives up to its name.