In case you are thinking to upgrade your iPhone 3G/3GS and iPod Touch 2G to IOS 4, you must know that it is necessary to save the SHSH blobs from your older version of iOS (3.1.2/3.1.3) at Cydia server. We will stress all iOS 4 upgrade enthusiasts to do this because in case you ever want to downgrade to earlier version, these saved blobs will be your only chance. In what follows, we will show you exactly how to accomplish this. Read on for our complete guide.
For those of you who have no idea about this whole concept, SHSH blobs are essentially security signatures that define what version of iOS may your phone downgrade to, upon upgrade to any newer version. For instance if upon releasing iOS 4, Apple decides that iPhone 3GS owners who upgrade to it should not be able to downgrade to any earlier version of iOS in the future, the new iOS will ship with SHSH blobs with such instructions, making it impossible to downgrade. Since SHSH blobs are unique to each particular device, you can’t use SHSH blobs of one iPhone 3GS to downgrade another iPhone, even if it is a 3GS. Therefore, saving your existing SHSH blobs on Cydia before upgrading to the newer version of iOS is the only way to make sure that if you need to downgrade ever, you will be able to do it by using the blobs for your device stored on Cydia’s servers. This makes upgrading a much safer bet since you know you can revert back in case anything goes against the plans.
So now that the whole SHSH blobs deal is all clear to you, lets cut the talk short and see how exactly you can save yours.
- First you will need to download TinyUmbrella.
- After download, connect your iPhone 3G/3GS or iPod Touch 2G to the computer.
- Now start TinyUmbrella and click on Save My SHSH.
- Thats it! Now you have your SHSH files saved on Cydia servers, which will be useful if you ever look to downgrade your iPhone 3G / 3GS or iPod Touch 2G from iOS 4 to earlier 3.1.2/3.1.3.
- If you click on advanced options in the TinyUmbrella interface, you can even save them locally on your computer.
Download TinyUmbrella For Windows, Mac, Linux.
How To Downgrade iPhone 3G/ 3GS From iOS 4 to 3.1.2/3.1.3
How to Downgrade iPod Touch 2g From iOS 4 to 3.1.2/3.1.3