Finally there is some great news for LG Optimus Black owners as a working build of unofficial CyanogenMod 7 Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread is now available. The credit for this build goes Arcee, Android developer at RootzWiki Forums, and according to him, the build is compiled from currently available CM7 sources. For those who don’t know, CyanogenMod is a custom firmware distribution for select Android devices that is meant to enhance user experience and bring stability. You might also want to go through our complete CyanogenMod 7 walkthrough.
According the changelog, the accompanies this build, most of the essential features work fine after flashing the ROM. But features like Wireless Tethering, A2DP [Bluetooth Stereo Audio] and, in some instances, GPS are broken. Here is the step by step guide to install CyanogenMod 7.1 Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread on your LG Optimus Black:
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- The first step is to get root access on your LG Optimus Black.
- Once you have root access on your phone, reconfirm it by downloading Root Checker app from Market.
- Download free or paid version of ROM Manager from Market. This procedure doesn’t require any of the paid features so getting free ROM Manager is OK.
- Once you have ROM Manager installed and open on your phone, tap Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. It is the first option in the app’s menu.
- Now, select the appropriate model and click OK to continue flashing recovery.
- Download CyanogenMod 7 custom ROM (Update: Stable CM7.2 now available; link updated) for Optimus Black.
- Once you have finished downloading the custom ROM zip file, connect your phone to the computer, mount SD Card and copy the downloaded zip file to SD Card root.
- After you are done copying the zip file to SD Card, disconnect your phone from the computer.
- Now launch ROM Manager again and tap on Reboot into Recovery option present right under Flash ClockworkMod Recovery tab.
- Once your phone reboots into recovery, first make a complete backup of your phone using Backup/Restore option.
- After you are done making a backup of your current ROM, Wipe Data/Factory reset followed by Wiping Cache Partition. Use Volume up and down keys to navigate between recovery options.
- After the Wipe is complete, choose install zip from SD Card to flash/install the ROM on your phone.
- Your phone will automatically reboot after installation is complete, if that isn’t the case, then reboot manually using Reboot System Now option in ClockworkMod Recovery.
- If you want to install Google Add-ons i.e Market, Gmail, Calendar etc., then download Google apps ZIP file and flash it through ClockworkMod Recovery.
If you are facing any difficult or want to report more bugs, then head to the official RootzWiki thread.