Lately, Samsung Galaxy S II has been receiving much attention by Android developers. Earlier we covered a guide on how to root the Galaxy S II and that has put the wheels of customization in motion. The custom ROM for the Galaxy S II, called VillainROM, has been developed by villainrom.co.uk forum member pulser and is the first custom ROM released for the device. More on the ROM and how you can install it on your device.
The ROM is based on the XWKE2 firmware and is in a .tar format, meaning it will have to flashed via ODIN. Now we really hoped we had more details on this ROM, but apart from the fact that it’s rooted, we have no further details as of yet. The reason being, that the developer has not tested it himself, but instead XDA-Developers forum member 12aon tested it on his SGS II and confirmed it to be working fine.
So if you still want to take this ROM for a test drive on your Galaxy S II, read on!
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Rooted Galaxy S II. See our guide on how to root the Galaxy S II.
- ODIN Multi-flasher tool installed.
- Samsung USB drivers installed. Download USB drivers for 32 bit Windows | 64 bit Windows.
- VillainROM v1.0 for Galaxy S II.
- To begin, you need to put your phone in download mode. Do so by pressing Volume Down + Home + Power.
- Run ODIN and click on PDA, selecting the VillainROM-SGS2-v1.0.tar when prompted to browse for a file.
- Make sure Repartition is unchecked in ODIN.
- Once all this is done, hit the Start button to let the ROM flash. Wait for the ROM to be flashed patiently, it will take a few minutes.
That’s it, once the ROM is flashed, the phone will reboot and you should boot into the new VillainROM. For updates and queries, regarding this ROM, visit the forum thread at villainrom.co.uk.