Netflix is one of the world’s leading streaming services, with some of the most popular TV shows and movies being available for users to enjoy without any kind of limit, and the fact that there are subscription plans that provide one account with multiple sub-accounts make it even more popular.
Because we don’t always have the time or patience to watch a movie from head to finish, and it’s easy to forget which episode of a TV show you last watched when a single season has like 20 of them. Fortunately enough, Netflix comes with a wide variety of tools and features that make navigating through content easier, and those of you that get lost and want to simply resume where they were earlier can use the Continue Watching feature.
This neat feature highlights all the content that you started watching but never got the chance to finish until the very end, and it stays on top of the Netflix content menu so that it is the first thing you see whenever you enter your account.
However, there may be times when you don’t ever plan on resuming a TV show or a movie because it was just plain bad, or you’re about to watch something on Netflix with someone and you don’t want them to know what else you are watching.
Whichever the case, the bottom line is that in both of these two scenarios you would like for the Continue Watching notification to be gone for good, and that is precisely what we will be showing you in the following article, as we will be including steps for the PC, smartphone and Smart TV versions of Netflix as well.
How to Remove Continue Watching on Netflix
Removing the Continue Watching list is different from platform to platform, so we’ve listed step-by-step guides for each of them.
1. Clear Continue Watching on PC and macOS
Clear Netflix History on Web Browser
- Go to the official Netflix website or open the Netflix store app and log into your Netflix account.
- Log into your profile.
- Click on it on the top-right corner of your screen and click on Account.
- Scroll down the list until you reach Viewing activity.
- You should now see a list of everything that was watched on a particular profile, such as name, episode number (TV shows only), and the date.
- Press the button next to each entry labelled Hide from viewing history.
Once you’ve returned to your main screen, the Continue Watching list should no longer contain that particular show or movie, and if you removed everything, the Continue Watching list should now be gone for good.
Clear History on the Netflix UWP Microsoft Store App
- Launch the Microsoft Store Netflix app.
- Sign in to your account and enter the desired profile.
- Press the three-dots button in the top-right corner and select Settings.
- Click on Account Details.
A new window in your browser will open taking you to your Netflix page, and from there simply follow the steps used earlier for clearing the Continue Watching list through your browser.
2. Clear Continue Watching on Android or iOS
- Launch the Netflix app on your smartphone and sign in to your account.
- Enter the profile from where you want to delete the Continue Watching list.
- Go to the Home tab and scroll until you reach the Continue Watching category.
- Tap on the three-dotted button next to the listing that you want to remove.
- Tap on Remove From Row.
3. Clear Continue Watching on a Smart TV
Note: There is currently no way one can remove an item from the Continue Watching list if you’re connected to a Smart TV, but there is one workaround that you can try:
- Log into your PC, Mac, Android or iOS using the same account as your Smart TV
- Follow the steps mentioned above to remove the entries from your Continue Watching list
- Once you’ve deleted the entries, restart your Smart TV
How to Remove a Show from Continue Watching on Netflix – CONCLUSION
By following the steps mentioned above, you should be able to remove the Continue Watching list from your Netflix account on all major platforms (except Smart TVs).
Thanks to this little trick, your Netflix catalogue will not only feel less cluttered, but you won’t see any constant reminders of bad TV shows or movies that you were smart enough to abandon early on either.
Here are a few extra things that you need to know about Netflix’s Continue Watching feature:
- TV shows and movies that have been removed from the Netflix library will no longer appear in your Continue Watching list.
- If you’re using a VPN and are connected to a country that doesn’t have a particular show or movie in its library, it will be removed from your Continue Watching list.
We hope that you found this article to be of use and that you can enjoy Netflix after reading it. Let us know if you want more articles of the sorts by leaving us your feedback in the comments section below, and we’ll write them in no time.