Turkmenistan enacts heavy Internet censorship, but you can regain your privacy online with a VPN. Today, we cover the best providers for use in Turkmenistan; reviewing each for its encryption, performance and privacy policies. Whether you’re a blogger, journalist, or simply want to access foreign media sites, today’s article is for you.
Internet freedoms in Turkmenistan are heavily restricted. The government censors a variety of content from public access, making open content available to just a small fraction of the population. Surveillance is also significant, so even those who have access to the web can’t express themselves freely without fear of recrimination.
Most of the problems surrounding internet censorship in Turkmenistan can be overcome with a good VPN. Want to stream Netflix movies from other countries? Need to keep your identity safe at all costs? Virtual private networks allow you to anonymously surf the free and uncensored internet simply by running an app in the background.
Read on for our full guide on how to choose the best VPN for Turkmenistan, how to install it, and how to enjoy a private and secure internet experience with ease.
Evaluating the Best VPNs for Turkmenistan
There are countless hundreds of VPNs on the marketplace, many of which make outrageous promises they can never hope to keep. If a free VPN that offers unlimited data and fast speeds sounds too good to be true, it probably is, and you should be careful of those types of services.
Fortunately, you don’t need a degree in computer science to find, evaluate, and use a reliable VPN. Deciding which service best suits your needs, weighing things like encryption strength, server distribution, and privacy policies, often scares people away before they even begin. By following our advice below, however, you can cut through the marketing hype and get the best VPN for Turkmenistan around.
- Logging policy – A VPN is only as good as its logging policy. Data that passes through its network can be stored, including detailed traffic logs, time stamps, or DNS requests. If a VPN doesn’t have a zero-logging policy, your history can (and probably will) be requisitioned by authorities to track you down.
- Speed – VPNs are almost always slower than unencrypted internet connections, but the best services minimize slowdown and allow you to retain most of your connection’s natural speed.
- Server distribution – The more servers a VPN operates, the better your chances of finding a fast connection in the country of your choice.
- File and traffic restrictions – Some VPNs block things like P2P networks and torrent traffic. This will significantly cut down the number of streaming services you can use, crippling your internet in an instant.
- Compatibility – Another limitation of using a VPN is having to run software on each device that connects to the service. If you want your smartphone to be protected, you’ll need an app for that platform.
Do You Need Servers in Turkmenistan to Use a VPN?
Using a VPN while in Turkmenistan doesn’t mean the service has to have network locations inside the country. In fact, it’s often better that you use an external IP address, as this is what allows you to access worldwide content without restriction.
The chief benefit of using a VPN in Turkmenistan is anonymity. VPNs encrypt data leaving your device, making it impossible to see what websites you’re visiting, movies you’re streaming, or files you’re downloading. VPNs also replace your local IP address with a foreign one, which works to create the illusion you’re in another country. The combination of these two features makes you safe and secure online every time you connect.
Best VPNs for Turkmenistan
If you’re looking to enhance your security and guarantee your anonymity in Turkmenistan, use one of these top VPN providers every time you connect to the Internet:
ExpressVPN lives up to its name as one of the fastest VPN providers on the market. You can expect top speeds from nearly all of the company’s 3,000+ servers in 94 countries, including dozens of locations throughout Asia, Europe, and the Americas. Even if you choose a server on the other side of the world, ExpressVPN will give you a reliable low-lag connection every time. You can even run a speed test from within the ExpressVPN software to make sure you’ve got the fastest connection possible.
Privacy is another of ExpressVPN’s strong points. Data is protected with 256-bit AES encryption and backed by a zero-logging policy on traffic, DNS requests, and IP addresses. There’s also both DNS leak protection and an automatic kill switch to deliver a reliable safety net in case of an accidental disconnect, not to mention unlimited bandwidth and easy and unlimited server switching for all users.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
- Unblocks US Netflix, BBC iPlayer and other streaming services
- Super fast servers
- Govt-level AES-256 encryption
- No logging policy well enforced
- 24/7 Customer Service.
- Power-users configuration options.
NordVPN has an amazing array of privacy and security features as part of its default service, making it easy for anyone to sign up and stay safe online. NordVPN also sports the largest server network on the market. The list is constantly growing, but right now users have access to over 5,500 servers in 59 countries. You’ll always be able to connect to a fast server with NordVPN, and you’ll get extra protection through double encryption, obfuscated, and anti-DDoS servers when needed, too.
NordVPN provides a thorough zero-logging policy that covers everything from bandwidth to time stamps, traffic to IP addresses. Your activity is never recorded or shared with third parties, which helps keep your privacy intact, even in restrictive, surveillance-heavy countries like Turkmenistan. Backing these features is 256-bit AES encryption on all data, an automatic kill switch, DNS leak protection, and a host of customizable encryption features.
Read our full NordVPN review.
- Best Budget Choice
- Over 5,400 servers in 61 countries
- Connect up to 6 devices at once
- Based in Panama
- 24/7 Chat Support.
- Automatic server selection can be unreliable
- Apps can sometime be slow to connect.
CyberGhost provides an incredibly smart mix of speed, security, and location variability, delivering an amazing VPN experience for all users, regardless of location. It’s also one of the fastest and most reliable VPNs market, delivering great connection speeds around the world so you can stream HD videos from Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, and more, all without buffering delays. CyberGhost accomplishes this with a network of over 5,900 servers in 90 countries, along with mobile and desktop apps that make it easy to enjoy a secure internet experience.
CyberGhost’s privacy provisions include 256-bit AES encryption on all data, a zero-logging policy on traffic, time stamps, and IP address, and both DNS leak protection and an automatic kill switch. All of these work together to hide your identity each time you connect. With CyberGhost on your device, you can use the internet safely and securely from Turkmenistan, or any country in the world.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
- LOW PRICE: 6 EXTRA free months (79% off - link below)
- P2P allowed on any server except in US and Russia
- Jurisdiction in Romania
- Private: Strong no logs policy
- 45-day money-back guarantee.
- Can’t unblock some other streaming sites.
PrivateVPN is a well-balanced service that lets you stay secure anywhere in the world, including Turkmenistan. With the VPN in place, you can safely stream, surf, and download content from the web, or simply check social media accounts or your e-mail with full anonymity. PrivateVPN accomplishes this without sacrificing speed or ease of use, either, making it one of the best VPNs for daily use. This provider’s software also works perfectly on smartphones, desktop PCs, and even Fire TV thanks to a lightweight and easy to use interface. It’s a great choice for anyone who wants to use a VPN, but doesn’t want to struggle with complicated interfaces.
PrivateVPN runs a network of over 150 servers in 60+ countries that deliver all the speed, security, and location variety you need. The service locks down data with 256-bit AES encryption, keeps your connection safe with an automatic kill switch and DNS leak protection, and features a zero logging policy on all traffic, as well.
PureVPN is a versatile and full-featured VPN that does more than just protect your online data. The service delivers a full security suite that gives you instant access to anti-virus protection, malware shields, app blocking features, and DNS website filtering, all wrapped into one secure package. All you have to do is download the VPN app, choose the extra protections you’d like to turn on, and you’re set.
PureVPN offers incredibly useful security features that keep you safe online, as well. It starts with a zero-logging policy on traffic, an automatic kill switch, solid 256-bit AES encryption on all data, and DNS leak protection. These work alongside the company’s self-owned network of 2,000+ servers in 140+ countries, providing a ton of options for fast, safe, and secure connections.
Although it’s not necessary for a private online experience, PureVPN does offer a handful of server locations within Turkmenistan. This means you can sign up and enjoy a secure connection to the internet with an IP address from the same country, all with just a few clicks.
Read our full PureVPN review.
Use a VPN to Avoid Censorship, Stop Surveillance, and Regain Your Privacy
If you live, work, or travel in Turkmenistan, you’re automatically putting your privacy at risk. The country is infamous for its incredibly low standards of online freedoms. The local government engages in restrictive surveillance efforts along with intense censorship programs designed to maintain full control over the internet. One wrong move and your data is as good as gone.
How VPNs Work
When you type a URL into your browser, data leaves your device, travels through a local service provider’s servers, where it is assigned an IP address associated with your account. Then it finally reaches the internet to collect the information you requested. The whole process takes a fraction of a second to complete, but behind the scenes it gets incredibly complicated.
The chief concerns here are the data you requested and the IP address associated with your account. On a normal internet connection the data is sent raw and unencrypted, meaning anyone can take it, reassemble it, and see what you’re downloading. Combine that with the IP address that’s linked to your identity and suddenly cyber criminals and government agencies have an easy way to track internet users.
VPNs create something like a tunnel between your computer and the internet. They encrypt everything before it leaves your computer, making it impossible for anyone to see what you’re downloading, even if they have sophisticated equipment. After encryption the data passes through your local service provider, it goes to the VPN servers where it’s decrypted and assigned an IP address from the VPN’s network, and is then sent to the internet. This provides privacy and security and also strips packets of personally identifiable information for a strong measure of anonymity.
Benefits of Using a VPN
The privacy and security features offered by VPNs come with a number of added benefits, making them useful tools even if you aren’t traveling through a restrictive country like Turkmenistan. Below are just a few of the extras you can enjoy with the right VPN in place.
- Stop surveillance and online tracking – IP addresses assigned by internet service providers can be used to track your activity. VPNs put a stop to online surveillance by encrypting traffic and removing local IP addresses from each packet.
- Watch videos from other countries – Does your local Netflix not provide enough content? Sick of seeing “this video is not available in your country” on Hulu, YouTube, BBC iPlayer, and other streaming services? A VPN can solve that problem with just a few clicks.
- Access censored websites – Online censorship is a huge problem in countries around the world, especially Turkmenistan. Safely and securely bypassing these firewalls is something VPNs are extremely effective at doing. They’re also anonymous and extremely easy to use.
Other Ways to Stay Safe Online
Turkmenistan doesn’t make it easy to keep your data or identity safe online. In addition to deploying a good VPN, the following security measures will also help preserve your online privacy anywhere in the world.
- Avoid free VPNs – Free VPN services can be tempting. The reality is they make a lot of promises they can’t deliver on, and sometimes they actively destroy your online privacy in the process. It’s best to stick with a low cost but trusted paid VPN provider whenever possible.
- Encrypt your iPhone or Android device – Smartphones and tablets carry a ton of personal information, making them a hot target for data thieves. To help ensure your phone stays safe, learn how to encrypt your Android or iPhone.
- Install security focused browser extensions – Most of our online activity takes place inside a web browser. A great way to ensure top level browser security is to install HTTPS Everywhere and Privacy Badger, extensions made by the Electronic Frontier Foundation that force an encrypted connection when possible and disables tracking scripts respectively.
- Keep your anti-virus program – Malware is still a problem when using a VPN. Viruses slip through most services undetected, and things like key loggers or trojan horses are just as dangerous with a VPN active. Keep your anti-virus and firewall programs active at all times for maximum protection.
- VPNs anonymity isn’t perfect – Just because you have a VPN doesn’t mean you’re invincible. To help prevent sophisticated tracking efforts, take extra safety measures such as paying for your VPN with bitcoins or using the Tor Browser for sensitive tasks. If you’re planning to access the deep web or dark web, you’ll also need more than just a VPN.
Got everything you need to pick up your VPN for Turkmenistan? The country is a known hotbed of surveillance and censorship activity, but with the tips and suggestions above, you can lock down your online data, protect your identity, and surf the internet without any worries.
Do you have plans to travel to Turkmenistan? Or, have you spent significant time within the country? What challenges did you face in accessing the free and open internet there? Let us know your experiences below.
If you need a VPN for a short while when traveling for example, you can get our top ranked VPN free of charge. ExpressVPN includes a 30-day money-back guarantee. You will need to pay for the subscription, that’s a fact, but it allows full access for 30 days and then you cancel for a full refund. Their no-questions-asked cancellation policy lives up to its name.