Meetings that happen in the real world are easier to join if you know which room a meeting is being held in. You can walk right in, or walk out if you need to.
A lot of meetings have moved online and instead of real, physical rooms, they’re held in virtual rooms that you cannot walk into. These virtual meeting rooms have to be created by the meeting organizer, their address (URL) has to be shared with everyone who is supposed to attend the meeting, and participants have to be managed i.e., allowed into the meeting.
Join a Microsoft Teams meeting
Virtual or online meetings aren’t a new 2020-pandemic concept. Online meetings have been a thing for quite some time and there are plenty of tools that make creating an online meeting easy.
If you need to join a Microsoft Teams meeting, but you’re not sure how to do that, follow the steps below.
1. Join Microsoft Teams meeting – desktop app
If you want to join a Microsoft Teams meeting from the desktop app, you have two different scenarios; you can click a link that’s been shared, or you can join a meeting in the channel it’s being held in.
A link to the meeting is shared by the meeting organizer over Microsoft Teams, any other chat app, or over email.
- Click the link in whichever app it’s been shared in (browser, email client, chat app).
- The link will open in your default browser.
- You will see a prompt to open the Microsoft Teams app.
- Open the app and you’ll be able to join the meeting.
A Microsoft Teams channel that has an active meeting indicates it with a little icon next to the channel name. You can join the meeting from the channel. No link is required.
- Open Microsoft Teams.
- Look through the channels for a video recorder icon.
- Select the channel.
- Click the Join button to join the meeting.
2. Join Microsoft Teams meeting – mobile app
Joining a Microsoft Teams meeting from the mobile app is similar.
- If you have a link, click it and you will see a prompt to open the Microsoft Teams app. Open it and join the meeting.
- If you’re trying to join a meeting from the Microsoft Teams mobile app, open the channel it’s being held in and click the Join button.
The only thing you need to join a meeting is a link to it or be a part of the Team that the meeting is being held in. In some cases, you may be invited to a team as a guest. This is where you’ll likely need a link to the meeting but joining one is as easy regardless.