Microsoft Forms is a stand-alone app and service but like many of Microsoft’s other tools, Forms is also integrated into Microsoft Teams. Forms can be used with a free Microsoft live account. It doesn’t have to be associated with a Microsoft 365 license of any type however, if you want to use Forms in Microsoft Teams you must have an enterprise license.
Microsoft Teams forms
In order to add a Forms tab in Microsoft Teams, you must have an E3 or E5 license. The user that will add a forms tab must be assigned the right license in order to use them.
Add Microsoft Teams forms tab
To add a Forms tab to a channel in Microsoft Teams, follow the steps below.
- Open Microsoft Teams.
- Select the Teams tab.
- Select a team, and a channel under it.
- Click the plus button at the top-right of the channel’s tabs.
- Select Forms from the list of apps (or search for it).
- Enter a name for the tab.
- Click Save.
- Once the form has been added, set up form fields, questions, polls etc.
Fix “Your account is not enabled for Microsoft Forms’
If you’re trying to add a Forms tab to Microsoft Teams, and you get the “Your account is not enabled for Microsoft Forms” error, it means your user has not been assigned the correct license to use Forms in Microsoft Teams.
To resolve this, you need to get in touch with the team admin. The license can be added by following these steps.
- Visit the Microsoft 365 admin center.
- Click Users in the column on the left.
- Select Active users.
- Select a user in the pane on the right.
- Click Manage product license at the top.
- In the panel that opens, select a license that has Microsoft Forms access.
- Click Save Changes.
Note: To check which apps the license gives access to, select it from the list of available licenses, and scroll down and expand the Apps section. Microsoft Forms should be listed under it. Licenses can take up to a day to be activated.
Many apps that Microsoft has available for free aren’t available for Microsoft Teams free users. The license that is purchased is what enables the app’s integration. You can use Microsoft Forms outside of Microsoft Teams for free and share links to forms in a channel if you don’t want to purchase a license for it but it is definitely easier with a Forms tab integrated.