Microsoft Teams can show notifications for all sorts of activities and that’s to be expected. Microsoft Teams will receive messages, calls, files, and invites. The activity will vary more if you receive calls and messages in a general channel or if you’re specifically mentioned in a message.
Activity in Microsoft Teams varies and users can enable or disable these notifications at a fine grain level. Users can choose to get notifications for all activity or for whatever activity is important for them.
Microsoft Teams notifications
Microsoft Teams offers excellent control over how a user receives notifications however, it is important to remember that Microsoft Teams notifications are made in the app and are not set on a per-team basis. This means that the way you set up notifications in Microsoft Teams will impact all teams that you’re a part of and not just one team.
Customize Microsoft Teams notifications
To customize Microsoft Teams notifications, follow these steps.
- Open Microsoft Teams.
- Click your profile icon at the top right.
- Select Settings from the menu.
- If you’d like to get an email for all missed activity, enable the Email Missed Activity notification and select how often you want to receive the email.
- You can enable/disable sound notifications from Appearance and Sound.
- Click Edit next to Chat to change how notifications for chat messages are delivered.
- You can enable/disable notifications for replies, and for likes and reactions.
- To customize notifications for meetings, click the Edit button next to Meetings.
- You can enable or disable notifications for meetings that have started, and mute chat notifications for a meeting you haven’t joined.
- You can enable notifications for activity from certain people in the team. Click Edit next to People. These notifications will tell you when a team member is online or offline.
- To get notifications when a new member joins the team, click Edit next to Other.
- If you don’t want to spend time customizing notifications, you can enable all notifications by selecting the ‘All Activity’ option.
- If you want to get notifications for just mentions and replies, select the Mention and replies option.
Microsoft Teams provides some of the best controls over notifications. Discord is one app that comes as close but there is still room for improvement. Since Microsoft Teams allows users to be a part of multiple teams, it stands to reason that users may want a custom notifications set-up on a per-team basis. The notifications apply to notifications delieverd by the desktop app and not to the mobile app.