Facebook Messenger isn’t used for work. It’s the messaging tool we use for casual conversations. With online meeting tools now gaining more users, it’s another niche that the Messenger app can be used for. Cue Facebook Messenger Rooms.
Facebook Messenger Rooms
Facebook Messenger Rooms are basically online meeting rooms; you can create one from the Facebook web interface, the Messenger web interface, the Facebook apps for iOS and Android, and the Messenger apps for iOS and Android.
A room is linked to a person and not created for a topic. You can open the room up to anyone who has a link to it or invite specific people. You can exercise better control over the audience of a room if you create it from the Facebook/Messenger apps.
1. Create Facebook Messenger room – Web
You can create a Facebook Messenger group from the web interface.
- Visit Facebook (make sure you’re signed in).
- Click inside the new post box.
- Click the purple webcam icon (you might see a ‘Rooms’ section just below the new post box with a ‘Create’ button at the top right corner. You can click it to create a room).
- Select Room activity, set a time for when the room will be active, and choose who you want to invite.
- Click ‘Create Room’, and everyone you invited will receive an invite to join the room.
To create a room directly in Messenger;
- Click the Messenger icon at the top right.
- Click the video icon.
- A new window will open.
- The new window will ask for access to the webcam and the mic. Grant it.
- Share the link with whoever you want to invite, or click the ‘Edit’ button and choose your audience.
- If you need to change your video and audio settings, click the cogwheel button at the top right.
2. Create Facebook Messenger room – Apps
You can create a Facebook Messenger room from both the Facebook app and the Messenger app.
1. Facebook app
- Open the Facebook app.
- Click the purple webcam button to create a room.
- Select an activity, a time, and then select who you want to invite.
- When you click Next, an invite will be sent to all participants.
2. Messenger app
- Open the Messenger app.
- Go to the People tab.
- Tap Create a room.
- Share a link to the room by tapping ‘Share link’.
- Change the audience for the room by tapping ‘Who can join’.
3. Leaving a room vs End Room
You can leave a room but it will remain active. When someone joins the room, you will get an alert. When you End a room though, no one can join it.
Facebook Messenger Rooms don’t require the participants to be on Facebook. If you share a link to the group and set it up so that anyone with the link can join, you will be able to invite anyone and everyone.