AMD is one of two popular manufacturers of GPU chips. You will find that Nvidia chips are more common but AMD is what comes in second.
AMD GPUs, like any other kind of hardware, require drivers and if you want to keep your system and your games running smoothly, you should keep the AMD drivers up to date.
Download and install an AMD driver update
AMD drivers, much like other driver updates, can be delivered via Windows Updates. The only problem with Windows Updates is that new driver updates often arrive late. If you want to get the latest driver updates for AMD, there are a few things you can try.
1. AMD driver update – Windows updates
If a driver update for your AMD GPU has been pushed to Windows Updates, installing it via Windows Updates is the best course of action.
- Open the Settings app (Win+I keyboard shortcut).
- Go to Update & Security.
- Select the Windows Update tab.
- Click Check for Updates.
- Install driver updates that are available (they may be under optional updates).
- Restart your system.
2. AMD driver update – Device Manager
You can search online for AMD driver updates via Device Manager.
- Open Device Manager.
- Expand Display adapters.
- Right-click the AMD chip and select Update Driver.
- Search online for driver updates.
- Install the updates that are available.
- Restart the system.
3. AMD driver detection utility
AMD has a desktop app for managing their GPUs. This app can detect the driver version on your system, check if a new one is available, and download and install it.
- Visit the official AMD website and download the Auto-Detect and Install Updates for Radeon Graphics and Ryzen Chipset Drivers for Windows app.
- Run the app and it will detect and download available drivers.
4. Manually download and install AMD drivers
You can manually install drivers for the AMD chip. You don’t need to install the driver detection utility.
- Visit the official AMD website and download the Windows 10 drivers.
- Run the downloaded EXE file.
- The app will detect hardware on your system and install drivers for it.
- Restart the system to complete the installation.
AMD drivers are as easy, or as hard, to install as any other driver. In some cases, Windows 10 may block an update if it thinks your hardware isn’t ready for it. It’s known to have done this in the past but it’s easy to get around by manually installing the driver. Make sure you also update Windows 10 so that it runs smoothly with the updated driver.