ClockworkMod Recovery is a custom recovery that is used extensively across a range of Android devices for advanced customization such as installing unofficial ROMs, taking and restoring backups, mounting and wiping storage etc. and now you can install this custom recovery to your Samsung Continuum using this easy-to-follow guide.
This is an official version of ClockworkMod Recovery for Samsung Continuum rather than a custom port, and has been shared with us by XDA-Developers forum member adrynalyne. To learn more about ClockworkMod recovery and what it does, check out our ClockworkMod Recovery coverage. Do not follow the method described there for installing it yet, as Samsung Continuum requires an altogether different procedure.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
To install ClockworkMod Recovery to your Continuum, simply follow these steps:
- If you don’t have Samsung drivers installed, download them from the links given below depending on your Windows version and extract them to your computer. Whenever your computer prompts you to install drivers or fails to install them automatically in the next steps, manually install them from device manager by pointing to the folder where you extracted them.
- Download Odin from the link given below and extract the contents of the zip file to your computer.
- Also download ClockworkMod Recovery’s Odin Tar file from the link given below.
- Run Odin from the extracted file.
- Leave everything as it is, click the ‘PDA’ button and load the file downloaded in Step 2.
- Now put your phone into download mode. [Power it off, then hold the volume-down button while powering it back on.]
- You should now see the image of an Android digging with a shovel on the screen. Connect your phone to your computer via USB. You should see the first ID:COM box turn yellow in Odin.
- Click the ‘Start’ button in Odin and wait while the recovery is flashed to your phone. Once it is finished, your phone will reboot. If you get any prompts on the phone or your computer, read them and follow the instructions.
- Now download ClockworkMod Recovery’s update.zip file from the link given below and copy it to the root of your phone’s internal SD card.
- Reboot your phone into recovery. [Power it off, then hold the volume-up AND volume-down buttons while powering it back on.]
- From recovery, choose to ‘apply update.zip’. Wait till the update is applied and you’re done.
That’s it – when you boot into recovery now, you should get ClockworkMod Recovery rather than the standard recovery, and should be able to flash custom ROMs and perform other advanced recovery procedures with it. In case of any issues, head over to the XDA-Developers forum thread.
Now that you have ClockworkMod Recovery installed, you might want to flash a custom ROM to your phone. One excellent option is the clean and rooted DL17 ROM for Samsung Continuum that you can easily install on your device from recovery.
Download Galaxy S USB Drivers for 32 bit Windows | For 64 bit Windows
Download Odin v1.52
Download ClockworkMod Recovery’s Odin Tar File
Download ClockworkMod Recovery’s update.zip file