Microsoft Teams is home to a long list of features and functions. It can store files that are shared over channels, record meetings, it can generate transcripts for calls, manages groups, tags, and permissions for teams and their members, and much more.
To accomplish all this, Microsoft Teams relies on Microsoft 365 services, and to manage files, it relies on SharePoint. Organizations that have a paid version of Microsoft 365, or a free version, both have access to a SharePoint website which helps manage everything.
Microsoft Teams SharePoint site
Whether you’re aware of it or not, you do have a SharePoint website set up for your team. The process for accessing it is different if you’re using the free version of Microsoft Teams but you can still access it.
In order to access the SharePoint site, you must be a team owner or admin.
Access Microsoft Teams SharePoint – Free
To find the Sharepoint website for a free Microsoft Teams account, follow these steps.
- Open Microsoft Teams.
- Select your team and select any channel under it.
- Upload a file to the channel.
- Once the file has been uploaded, select it and click the Copy Link button.
- Copy the link to the file.
- Open your browser and paste the link in it (don’t tap Enter yet).
- Remove everything after …/Documents/
- Tap Enter.
- If prompted, sign in with the Microsoft Teams owner or admin account.
Microsoft Teams and Microsoft 365 admin
If you’re using the same account for Microsoft Teams that you use for Microsoft 365, your Microsoft 365 account may be the admin. If you’re unable to access SharePoint with the Microsoft Teams account, you need to find the Admin account for Microsoft 365.
- Follow the steps above and get the link to a file.
- At the start of the domain add admin@ followed by the domain name up to .com.
- Enter this email when you visit Sharepoint.
- You will need to use the password recovery option to get a password for the site.
- Once you’ve reset the password, use it to sign into Sharepoint.
Access Microsoft Teams SharePoint – Paid/Subscription
If you have a paid Microsoft Teams account, accessing the Sharepoint website is much easier and straightforward.
- Visit the Microsoft Teams admin center.
- In the panel on the left, select Sharepoint.
- Sign in again if prompted to.
- Select your team under Sites.
- Go to Documents to access the files shared over various channels.
The SharePoint website is a great way to manage users and documents for a team. It offers a much more comprehensive look at everything but also provides considerable control over everything, more so than what you’ll find in the Microsoft Teams app. Microsoft Teams is the user interface that allows you to use the app but Sharepoint is the admin area that allows you to manage it.