Online meeting tools compete for users but most of them incorporate Outlook and Google Calendar invites since these two apps are two of the most commonly used calendar tools. Google Calendar doesn’t have a desktop app which is why the usual ICS file will do the job for a meeting invite. Outlook is different.
Set up a Zoom meeting in Outlook
Zoom has a plugin available for Outlook. It allows users to schedule a Zoom meeting from Outlook or to start one right away. The plugin is available for both the Outlook desktop app and for the Outlook web app. If you’re using the Outlook desktop app, you must be using it with a Microsoft Exchange account. If you’re using an IMAP account, you’ll have to use the Outlook web app.
Set up a Zoom meeting in Outlook – Desktop
To set up a Zoom meeting in Outlook from the desktop app, you need to install the Zoom plugin.
- Visit the Zoom download page and click Download under Zoom Plugin for Microsoft Outlook.
- If you have Outlook open, quit it.
- Run the MSI file and install the Zoom plugin.
- Open Outlook.
- Click New>Meeting.
- Select either Schedule a meeting or Start Instant meeting.
- The Zoom desktop app will open.
- Once the meeting has been set, details for it will be added to the Outlook message.
- Send the message.
Set up a Zoom meeting in Outlook – Web
If you’re using the Outlook web interface, you will have to install Zoom from the Microsoft market place.
- Visit this link in your browser.
- Click Get it now.
- Enter information about your account and click Continue.
- Open the Outlook calendar.
- Click New Event>More options.
- Click the Zoom icon.
- Click Add a Zoom meeting.
- Click Allow in the window that opens.
- Sign in with your Zoom account.
- Set up the date and time for the meeting and send the invite.
The Zoom plugin for Outlook desktop will automatically add invite information to the meeting message. In order to set the meeting up, you must still have the Zoom desktop app installed to schedule the meeting. For the Outlook web i.e., Outlook Calendar web app, the scheduling takes place in Outlook. You do not have to switch to the Zoom web app. The plugin will populate the information for the meeting, link, passcode, and time and date, automatically. With Outlook web, you can only schedule a meeting not start one.