Combining two different file types into one file isn’t easy if you’re dealing with media files. Combining images can be done with an average image editor but if you need to combine audio and video, you need a video editor for the job. If the audio is the exact same length as the video i.e., you do not need to edit anything, the job is easier. If the audio needs to be edited into a specific part of the video, it’s going to be more complicated.
Combine audio and video on Windows 10
Windows 10 comes with a video editor out of the box and for basic editing and combining of files, it does the job. It will be able to export the video in high quality.
- Open the stock Photos on Windows 10.
- Click the New Video button at the top.
- Select ‘New video project’ from the menu.
- Give your project a name.
- Click the ‘Add’ button on the left, and select the video that you want to add the audio to.
- Once the video has been added, drag & drop it onto the timeline.
- Click the ‘Custom audio’ button.
- Select the audio file that you want to add to the video i.e., combine with it.
- Use the slider to select when (during the video) the audio will begin to play, and when it will stop.
- You can add more audio files by clicking the ‘Add’ button. Each audio file can be positioned individually.
- Click ‘Done’ after you’ve positioned the audio.
- Make any other edits to the video that you want. To export it, click the Finish Video button.
- Select the output quality.
- Click Export.
The video editor in the Photos app doesn’t let you edit audio files. If you need to edit i.e., cut and merge audio clips before they can be added to the video, and you’re looking for a free solution, you can use Audacity. If you do not want to download and install an app, you can edit audio in your browser.
The Video Editor in the Photos app may seem sufficient but it’s basic. A good video editor will allow you to edit audio and video files together on multiple timelines. It allows the audio to be sliced along with the video which, if you have a long audio recording and a long video, is going to make editing easier. If you find you often have to combine audio and video files, you will likely need to buy an app for the job.