Subtitles are great for watching titles that are in a different language. They’re also useful when you want to learn a second language, when the dialog is too quite, or if you have a hearing impairment. Subtitles have to be added to video files. There are AI-driven tools that can detect speech and generate subtitles but they need proofing. If you find good subs anywhere, a human-hand/eye was probably involved.
Remove subtitles on Netflix
Netflix has great subtitles and they appear to be available for most titles, if not all of them. More importantly, they’re available in several languages and make content produced in different countries accessible to anyone worldwide. That said, not everyone likes subtitles. If you’re seeing subtitles on Netflix, you can disable them easily enough.
1. Netflix web/Netflix Windows 10 app
On the Netflix Windows 10 app, and the Netflix web app, follow these steps to turn off subtitles.
- Play a title.
- Once the title starts playing, look for the chat icon. On the web interface, it’s on the bottom navigation bar. On the Windows 10 app, it’s at the top right.
- Click the chat bubble icon, and a menu will open.
- In the subtitles section, select the Off option.
2. Netflix iOS/Android apps
The Netflix iOS and Android apps also display subtitles and like their web and Windows 10 counterparts, these subtitles can be turned off.
- Open the Netflix app on your device.
- Play a title.
- Tap the chat bubble icon at the bottom navigation bar.
- In the menu that opens, select the ‘Off’ option under Subtitles.
- On iOS, the setting is applied right away. On Android, you have to tap the Apply button.
When you turn subtitles off for one title, they are turned off for all titles. That’s how it works on all apps and if you turn subs on for one device, they will be turned on for all other devices that you watch Netflix on. It’s an account-wide setting and it syncs between apps.
Netflix subs aren’t intrusive. They appear at the bottom of the screen which is where you’ll find most video players display subtitles. You can customize the subtitles’ appearance so if you’re turning them off because they’re hard to read, you should consider changing their appearance. If you want to turn subtitles off because they’re in the wrong language or they’re incorrect (it can happen), you can try loading external subtitles on Netflix in your web browser.