Android 2.3 Gingerbread for Samsung Galaxy S is here! After lots of doubts and anxious moments when this ROM was leaked over a Polish forum, we can now confirm that the leak, is in fact a legitimate Gingerbread ROM by Samsung meant for the Galaxy S I9000. What’s more is that since the leak happened, forum members at XDA-Developers have started working on some fixes as well. For more information on this ROM and how to install it on your phone, read on!
- All bands seem to be functional.
- Swype feature, previously broken is now fixed.
- TouchWiz 3.
- Market is functional.
- Recovery Mode.
- Some apps especially games won’t work properly.
- You may encounter ‘Kernel Panic’ when browsing.
Now let’s get this ROM up and running on your Galaxy S!
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- Android 2.3.2 for Galaxy S. Download.
- ODIN installed on your PC. Download.
- Samsung USB drivers installed. Download USB drivers for 32 bit Windows | 64 bit Windows.
- Rooted Galaxy S. See our guide on how to root the Galaxy S. (Rooting your phone prior to installing this ROM isn’t required. However we highly suggest you make a nandroid backup before you proceed with flashing the ROM. For that rooting is required)
- ClockworkMod Recovery installed. See here for installing ClockworkMod Recovery on Galaxy S.
- Extract the ROM you downloaded to any folder.
- Extract ODIN.
- Reboot into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
- Power off your phone and unplug it from the PC.
- Enter download mode. (Press the volume – +, power button and home button together.)
- Once you have entered download mode, run ODIN on the PC.
- In ODIN, click on the PIT box and select the file ‘s1_odin_20100803.pit’ from the folder where you extracted ODIN.
- Then click on the PDA box and select ‘CODE_I9000XWJV1_CL31216_REV03_user_mid_noship.tar.md5’ from the folder where you extracted the ROM.
- Click on Phone box and select ‘MODEM_I9000XXJVE.tar.md5’ from the folder where you extracted the ROM.
- Click on the CSC box and select ‘GT-I9000-MULTI-CSC-OXXJV1.tar.md5’ from the folder where you extracted the ROM.
- Check ‘Re-partition’, ‘Auto Reboot’ and ‘F.Reset Time’.
- Make sure that you did not mix up the files while selecting them!
- Connect your phone (already in download mode) to the the PC and ODIN will show, “Added” under the message box.
- Hit the Start button and let it process.
- Once the process is complete, your phone will automatically reboot.
Congratulations! Your Galaxy S has finally tasted Gingerbread and we must say it was about time! For queries and updates, visit the forum thread at XDA-Developers. Do let us know how your experience with this ROM went.