It’s no secret that Twitter supports GIFs. Users can search for and insert a GIF from Giphy from inside the Twitter app or from the Twitter web interface. No additional apps, add-ons, or special keyboards are needed.
A GIF will play natively in the app but unlike the photos that are tweeted, a GIF or a video can’t be saved the same way. In fact, saving a GIF on the desktop isn’t easy because the image isn’t directly accessible. It is embedded in the tweet to the point that going through the web inspector to save the GIF is a pain.
How to Save a GIF from Twitter
In order to easily save an animated GIF from Twitter, whether from the desktop or your mobile phone, you need an app. With the desktop, you can opt for a web app and you won’t have to install one on your desktop.
With mobile phones, you can try to use a web app in your phone’s browser or you can opt for an app. We recommend using an app. If you use a web app in your browser, the process will be tedious.
Save animated GIF from Twitter – Web/Desktop
To save an animated GIF from Twitter, you need the URL to the tweet. The easiest way to get the URL is to click the little timestamp next to the user’s handle. Once you have the URL you can take your pick of one of the many services that let you download a GIF.
- Visit the Twitter video downloader.
- Enter the URL for the tweet with the GIF.
- Click Download.
- On the next page, click Download Video.
- Click the more options button (three dots) and select Download on the video player.
Save animated GIF from Twitter – iOS
There are quite a few apps you can use to save a GIF from Twitter on iOS. We recommend using GIF Viewer. You will need the URL to the Tweet that the GIF is attached with.
To get the URL;
- Open the Twitter app.
- Tap the share button at the bottom of the tweet that you want to save the GIF from.
- Select Copy Link from the share sheet.
To save the GIF;
- Download a free app called GIF Viewer from the App Store.
- Go to the Photos tab.
- Tap the plus button at the top right.
- Select Twitter GIF from the menu.
- Tap Confirm.
- The GIF will be downloaded.
Save animated GIF from Twitter – Android
To download an animated GIF from Twitter on Android, follow these steps. You must have the Twitter app installed on your phone to download GIFs.
- Install Download Twitter Videos – GIF from the Google Play Store.
- Open the Twitter app and navigate to the tweet you want to download the GIF from.
- Tap the share button on the tweet.
- Select Share via and select Download for Twitter from the share sheet.
- Tap GIF and it will be downloaded.
Twitter GIF: Conclusion
Downloading GIFs on a mobile phone is slightly complicated but Twitter makes it a bit more difficult by not allowing the GIF to be directly accessible.
The process is complicated for the desktop alone which is why a dedicated app has to be used on a mobile device.