The charm of Chatroulette is chatting with strangers behind a shield of relative anonymity–but you can’t completely guarantee your privacy online unless you use a great VPN. Don’t worry, we’ve got a few incredible providers lined up which not only boost your security, but allow you to unblock Chatroulette anywhere in the world.
Chatroulette is an online chat service that pairs random users with each other through a webcam interaction. Within a year of launch, however, Chatroulette began to receive criticisms for inappropriate use of the service, namely users who initiate offensive and suggestive interactions. Although Chatroulette developed an algorithm to filter out most of this material, many networks now block the app, and some unique users get undeserved bans from the service.
Use these VPNs to securely bypass your Chatroulette ban:
- NordVPN – Best for IP Bans – If you want a new IP address to unblock Chatroulette, NordVPN has an unparalleled number of heavily encrypted servers at your disposal. Satisfaction guaranteed, or your money back within 30 days.
- Surfshark – Surfshark has a novel approach to privacy that works extremely well to spoof your IP and skip your ban.
- ExpressVPN – No one likes laggy chats; choose a VPN which preservers your connection speeds.
- CyberGhost – A great choice for unblocking websites and staying anonymous online.
- PrivateVPN – Lightweight VPN that’s as tough on IP bans as it is cybercriminals and snoops.
Whether you want to use Chatroulette on a university campus or to bypass an unfair ban, a VPN will solve the problem. Furthermore, you will be able to keep your identity and activity logs safe from the government, ISPs, and even cybercriminals. In this article, we will help you pick the best VPN provider, give you more information on Chatroulette’s history, and provide instructions on how to get started.
How to bypass chatroulette ban?
Here is a quick guide how to avoid a chatroulette ban.
- Create an account with your VPN service provider on their website.
- Once you are signed in, download and install software that is compatible with your device and operating system. For example, if you have an iPhone, you will need the app that is suitable for iOS.
- Launch the app and sign in using your account credentials.
- The app will usually assign you with the fastest available server. If, however, that IP does not work with Chatroulette, select a server manually.
- Prior to using Chatroulette with your brand new VPN, it is important to make sure that it works properly. This step is not mandatory but will ensure complete security and privacy. Go on ipleak.net within your browser. The page will run an automatic IP address lookup test, just give it a few moments to load. If you see your chosen server under “Your IP Addresses”, everything works perfectly and you are ready to go. If, however, you see your physical location in that list, there may be a leak and you need to contact your VPN provider for more information.
What to look for in a VPN for Chatroulette
When researching VPN providers, there are many things you need to take into account, including encryption protocols, speed, and logging policies. When it comes to unblocking Chatroulette, however, some features are more important than others. Below, we have provided the criteria for picking the best VPN for you. Prioritising them will help you pick a VPN provider in the next section.
- Security – A VPN needs to keep you safe and secure as much as it needs to help you bypass blocked websites. Choose a provider that uses 256-bit AES encryption and has a good no-logging policy. This will not only keep your identity protected, but ensure no data is being traced back to your account credentials.
- Network size – In a nutshell, the greater the network size, the more connectivity options. A VPN provider with a large server network will give you more options both in terms of speed and location.
- Fast connection – Once you are on Chatroulette, the last thing you want to experience is lagging and delays. Choose a provider that offers unlimited bandwidth, no speed caps, and high download speeds.
- Device compatibility – In order to take full advantage of the service and use it on all your devices, make sure the provider has wide software availability. This way you’ll be able to connect everything from your PC to your router.
Best VPNs to unblock Chatroulette and protect your privacy
If you’re stuck behind an IP ban, dealing with ISP throttling or local website blocks, or even if you just want to protect your privacy online, you need a VPN. Below, we review the best providers proven to help Chatroulette users get the most out of the service:
NordVPN is world-renowned for its security, advanced features, and ability to beat censorship. With 5,500+ servers in 59 countries, NordVPN’s network is one of the biggest in the industry, offering unparalleled choice in selecting your VPN connection. Also included in this network is an array of speciality servers optimized for various functionalities, such as Onion over VPN, anti-DDoS, double VPN, and obfuscated servers. Furthermore, the service is very speedy and doesn’t put any restrictions on bandwidth, which allows you to enjoy your connection for prolonged periods of time.
NordVPN is ahead of the game security-wise, too. With a 256-bit AES encryption, NordVPN is practically unbreakable – it would take the world’s strongest supercomputer millions of years to crack. Other encryption protocols include OpenVPN’s UDP and TCP, as well as SSTP, which is known for beating hardcore censorship blocks. The no-logging policy includes traffic, IP addresses, timestamps, bandwidth, and even browsing history. It is considered to be one of the most complete on the market. Other security features include an automatic kill switch, which shuts down your internet in case you ever get disconnected.
Read our full NordVPN review.
- Highly affordable plans
- Different IP addresses aervers
- Strong encryption is used on all connections
- Strict zero logs policy on both traffic and metadata
- Money back guarantee policy.
- Sometimes slow in procesing refunds (but always do).
Considering the server numbers alone (800+ nodes in 50 countries), you might be tempted to pass right by Surfshark. But, that would be doing your search for the key to unblocking Chatroulette a massive disservice. Surfshark chomps through site bans, geoblocks, and straight up censorship with ease.
Each server is encrypted with the 256-AES-GCM cipher, which is basically impossible to brute force. And unlike other providers which relegate advanced functionality to specialty servers, every node in Surfshark’s network is equally capable at unblocking sites and protecting your identity online. Whether it’s via obfuscation to avoid deep packet inspection, or it’s the agility to switch tunneling protocols on a whim (OpenVPN, IKEv2, Shadowsocks, and WireGuard are all available), you have the tools needed to sneak past an IP ban undetected.
- Every server optimized for unblocking Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and more
- Every server is a speciality server
- No questions asked money back guarantee
- Based in the British Virgin Islands, where there are no data retention laws
- Responsive customer support available 24/7.
- Growing network doesn’t have same coverage as more mature VPNs
- New-kid-on-the-block status may not instill same trust as larger providers.
Read our full Surfshark review.
ExpressVPN is known to be one of the fastest VPN providers on the market. With 3,000+ proxy servers in 94 countries, you won’t face any problems in terms of finding one that unblocks Chatroulette or any other blocked service. ExpressVPN’s lightweight software makes it all the more impressive how fast it is. Furthermore, features like unlimited bandwidth, no speed caps, and built-in speed test allow you to enjoy your connection without worrying about lagging. In addition, ExpressVPN is available on a wide range of software, including Windows, Mac, Linux; browser extensions such as Chrome; mobile devices; and routers.
Despite its impressive speed features, ExpressVPN is just as notable for its security. The provider uses a 256-bit AES encryption, which is practically unbreakable. This protects your data and keeps your information secure. The automatic kill switch shuts down your entire internet if you should ever get disconnected, so there is never a risk that your data is suddenly unencrypted. Furthermore, ExpressVPN’s no-logging policy ensures that your traffic, IP addresses, and browsing history is not logged and cannot be traced back to your ID.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
- Unblocks Netflix and other streaming sites
- Superfast servers (minimal speed loss)
- AES-256 encryption
- Strict no-logs policy for personal information
- Customer Service (24/7 Chat).
- Max 3 connections simultaneously
- Slightly pricier than competition.
CyberGhost’s service focuses on ease of use and security. It only takes a few moments to install, and the minimalist display makes it an ideal choice for everyone from rookies to experienced VPN users. As soon as you launch the app, you will be able to pick from six different profiles depending on your internet needs. These profiles include “surf anonymously”, “unblock streaming”, and “choose my VPN server”. Once you pick one of these options, the VPN settings will be automatically applied depending on what’s best for that profile. Additional features for each profile includes “block online tracking”, which is great if you want to stay very safe whilst unlocking Chatroulette.
In terms of security, CyberGhost fits the gold standard of the industry. The provider uses 256-bit AES encryption via OpenVPN, which protects all your data. Encryption protocols also include UDP, TCP, L2TP/IPSec, and PPTP. CyberGhost is also known for its immaculate logging policy, which logs almost nothing at all, including your email address. This means that there is no way to trace data back to you as an individual, and your online activity logs will remain safe at all times. Other security features include a kill switch, which will keep your connection safe no matter what, and an online tracking blocker, which keeps your identity/location anonymous.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
- SPECIAL OFFER: 79%OFF
- 3,600+ servers in 55+ countries
- Versatile and user-friendly
- Strict no logging
- 24/7 Live Chat Support.
- WebRTC leak detected
- Doesn’t unblock all streaming services.
PrivateVPN offers a great balance between security and speed. With around 150 servers in 60+ countries, PrivateVPN may not have as many nodes as other providers on the market, but the number of available locations is impressive. PrivateVPN also has servers specifically geared for bypassing VPN bans, therefore you will be able to overcome blocks on even the most strict websites, such as Netflix and ESPN. PrivateVPN is also very simple to use, so you will be able to connect to the VPN with one single click and unblock Chatroulette within minutes.
PrivateVPN lives up to its name and allows you to stay secure and anonymous online whilst using the service. With 256-bit AES encryption, PrivateVPN keeps your online logs secure and protected from ISPs and cybercriminals. Furthermore, its zero-logging policy on all traffic will keep your activity logs safe and untraceable back to your ID. Other security features include DNS leak protection, which masks your account, and a kill switch, which disconnects the internet in case you lose connection to the app.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
What is Chatroulette?
Launched in 2009, Chatroulette caused a stir as soon as it was released. Within a month, it already had 50,000 users and had been featured in all top publications in the United States. An anonymous video chat service, the way Chatroulette worked is a user a would log in, click a button, and wait to be assigned a different random user. Both sides could end the interaction at any point, but you never knew who you would end up speaking to.
Unfortunately, it wasn’t long before people began to use the platform for inappropriate behavior. Within a year of launching, Chatroulette was forced to introduce new terms and conditions that would prevent users from being exposed to improper, adult interactions. A lot of the problems seemed to have arisen because the service did not require users to sign up in order to use it. It merely required people to confirm that they are above the age of 18 and that they agree to terms of service.
As a response to these instances, Chatroulette introduced a sign-up system. Furthermore, an algorithm was developed in order to effectively filter out all inappropriate content, particularly because 30% of users were below the age of 18, which posed a massive legal and ethical risk. The filtering ended up being successful, and more than half of the offensive material was removed from the website. Regardless of these changes, many networks and even countries still block the service.
Why is it sometimes blocked?
There are several reasons why Chatroulette can be blocked. Firstly, if you are located in a country with strict censorship laws or internet filtering, chances are that Chatroulette was either blocked or restricted due to the inappropriate contents. For example, in places like China or the Middle East, adult content is typically banned, so Chatroulette would be no exception, as it has a notorious reputation for that sort of material.
READ ALSO: How to access Tumblr in China
Another place where Chatroulette may be blocked is university or school campuses. As a response to many complaints from both users and professionals, Chatroulette discouraged minors (anyone below the age of 18) to use the website. In response, many scholarly institutions have banned the website through their WiFi network.
In some cases, the ban is specific to unique users. Chatroulette introduced a policy where if you have been reported more than three times within five minutes, your account gets automatically shut down until it is thoroughly reviewed. In some cases, however, users have been banned for no justified reason, and the ‘inappropriate behavior’ was mistakenly reported. In all these cases, the only way to overcome the block and use Chatroulette is through a VPN service.
RELATED READING: How long do Omegle bans last?
How can a VPN help?
A VPN can help bypass regional blocks as well as other bans on content, therefore it is one of the only ways to unblock Chatroulette. Below are the main reasons a VPN will help you in unblocking Chatroulette regardless of why you are unable to access the chat.
Hide your IP address
First of all, it is important to understand that the way sites like Chatroulette refuse access is by blocking specific IP addresses. This means that in order to access the service, you will need a new IP address from a country where Chatroulette is available. VPNs allow you to connect to a different IP address, and the servers on their networks are anonymous. Therefore, not only do you have plenty of connection options, but your identity, location, and activity logs will remain anonymous at all times.
Depending on where you are located, Chatroulette may be banned or restricted. A VPN not only allows you to bypass this kind of regional block but also makes sure that your data is protected. This means that no one, from the government to ISPs and cybercriminals, can track you while you are using the service. Furthermore, it is one of the only ways to stay anonymous and secure.
Protect your data
A VPN is one of the best ways to maintain your privacy online. If you choose one of our recommended providers, the strong encryption and no-logging policies will keep every piece of your information protected. A VPN essentially makes standard data impossible to read, therefore you won’t need to worry about being on the radar.
Chatroulette is a fun online chat service that has received a poor reputation for its beginnings. However, it still has a great deal to offer to its users, and the chatting can turn out to be incredibly fun. If you’d like to bypass these bans and enjoy the Chatroulette service, all you need to do is to go with one of our recommended VPN providers. They will ensure that your experience is seamless, fast, and reliable.
How do you bypass bans on Chatroulette? Has it been effective? Leave us your comments down below!
If you need a VPN for a short while when traveling for example, you can get our top ranked VPN free of charge. NordVPN includes a 30-day money-back guarantee. You will need to pay for the subscription, that’s a fact, but it allows full access for 30 days and then you cancel for a full refund. Their no-questions-asked cancellation policy lives up to its name.