Skype has two versions; a general use version that anyone can download and install from the Microsoft Store and Skype for Business. Skype for Business is only available to users with an enterprise license for Microsoft 365. It is included if you purchase an enterprise license of Microsoft Teams.
An enterprise license of Microsoft Teams will give users access to Skype for business but it will come with certain preset settings that change how Skype for Business works. If you have a Microsoft 365 license that comes with both Microsoft Teams and Skype for business, the same presets are applied.
Fix “Your IMs and calls are going to Microsoft Teams”
If you’re using the same account in Microsoft Teams and in Skype for Business, you will see the “Your IMs and calls are going to Microsoft Teams” message in Skype for Business. This message appears because Microsoft Teams can also be used to make calls and send messages. It is set up as the default app to do so.
In order to get rid of the “Your IMs and calls are going to Microsoft Teams” message, you need to change settings for Microsoft Teams. Specifically, we have to change the Coexistence settings.
Change Microsoft Teams Coexistence settings
To change coexistence settings for Microsoft Teams, you must use the Microsoft Teams admin account.
- Visit the Microsoft Teams admin center in your browser.
- Sign in with the admin account.
- In the column on the left, expand Org-wide settings.
- Go to Teams Upgrade.
- Open the Coexistence mode dropdown.
- If you want to use Skype for Business for calls and messages, and want to exclude Microsoft Teams, select the Skype for Business only option.
- If you want to use both Skype for Business and Microsoft Teams, select Islands.
- Click Save.
- Restart Skype for Business.
- The “Your IMs and calls are going to Microsoft Teams” message will be gone.
- You will be able to make calls from Skype for Business.
Skype for Business still works and many organizations use it instead of using regular Skype. It isn’t free though and Microsoft Teams offers a far more sophisticated set of calling and messaging controls. The choice, whether to use Skype or Microsoft Teams for calls and messages comes down to how you want to set up your calling solution. Microsoft Teams may come with more restrictions, making it complicated to make outside calls but Skype for Business is far more flexible.