One of the best things about Android devices is how many pieces of free software you can download for them. Fire TV and Fire Stick both run an Amazon’s operating system that’s based on Android, which means the vast majority of those apps can be installed and used without any hassle. All you need to do is sideload on Fire Stick, a quick and painless process that doesn’t require jailbreaking, then enjoy all the third party apps you like, including Stremio, Kodi, and tons of other games and apps.
Watching videos is the prime purpose of Fire TV and Fire Stick. Many of these can be streamed directly from the internet, but if you’ve got local content you want to watch, you’ll have a hard time doing better than the MX Player. This powerhouse of an app is one of the best video players for Android and Fire TV and is used by millions of people around the world.
Below we discuss the best methods for installing MX Player on Fire TV and Fire Stick, along tips on making your streaming experience more convenient and a lot safer via a VPN.
- 1 Why You Should Use a VPN with Fire TV
- 2 Best VPNs for MX Player and Fire Stick
- 3 How to Install MX Player on Fire Stick and Fire TV
- 4 How to Use a VPN to Stay Safe on Fire TV
- 5 Conclusion
How to get a FREE VPN for 30 days
If you need a VPN for a short while when traveling for example, you can get our top ranked VPN free of charge. ExpressVPN includes a 30-day money-back guarantee. You will need to pay for the subscription, that’s a fact, but it allows full access for 30 days and then you cancel for a full refund. Their no-questions-asked cancellation policy lives up to its name.
Why You Should Use a VPN with Fire TV
New to the world of VPNs? They sound extremely complex and foreboding, but in reality they’re fast, secure, surprisingly easy to use, and indespensable for all of your daily internet activities. Installing a VPN to your main devices is a great way to protect your data with powerful encryption to ensure you stay private and anonymous each time you connect to the web.
Using a VPN with Fire TV is a smart move. Not only does it add privacy to your streams, it also ensures your ISP can’t throttle your connection, which is especially concerning for anyone who uses Kodi, Streemio, or the MX Player. Below we discuss where and how to find the best VPN for Fire Stick so you can stay safe while you stream.
Best VPN Selection Criteria
To ensure you get the right balance of features, pay close attention to the selection criteria below. These are the most important things you should consider when looking for a VPN, and they’re the same features we prioritized when choosing our own recommendations in the next section.
- Device compatibility – If a VPN doesn’t support Fire TV, you simply can’t use it.
- Fast downloads – Download speeds are crucial for smooth streams. Make sure you pick a provider that introduces minimal slowdown to your connection (all VPNs will slow your top speed down somewhat).
- Network size – The more servers a VPN runs, the more connection options you can use.
- Zero-logging policy – A strict zero-logging policy for true online privacy and security is the only way to use a VPN.
Best VPNs for MX Player and Fire Stick
We tested the best VPN services on the market to find out which ones are best for using on your Fire TV. Grab any of the VPNs below to stay safe and secure while streaming–you can’t go wrong!
1 – ExpressVPN – Fast and User-Friendly
ExpressVPN is a fast and reliable VPN with thousands of satisfied customers all around the world. The company runs a large network of over 2,000 servers in 94 countries around the world, each offering speedy connections to everyone. You won’t have to wait for buffering screens or other delays while loading movie streams, not with ExpressVPN. It’s got speed, security, privacy, and usability, all the features you need for a good VPN!
Your privacy is protected with 256-bit AES encryption, and backed by a zero-logging policy on traffic, DNS requests, and IP addresses. There’s also both DNS leak protection and an automatic kill switch to deliver a reliable safety net in case of an accidental disconnect.
ExpressVPN is one of the easiest VPNs to use with Fire Stick and Fire TV. All you have to do is install the app directly from the Fire TV marketplace and you’re good to go!
Check out our full ExpressVPN review for more info about the VPN’s amazing features!
- Unblocks US Netflix, BBC iPlayer and other streaming services
- 94 countries, 3,000+ servers
- Govt-level AES-256 encryption
- Strict no-logging policy
- Great support (24/7 chat).
- Slightly pricier than competition.
2 – NordVPN – Fast Speeds, Powerful Protection
NordVPN has the largest server network on the market, hands down. The list is constantly growing, but right now users have access to over 4,900 servers in 62 different countries around the world, enough to provide the fastest secure connection no matter where you live. You’ll always be able to snag a great server with NordVPN, and you’ll get extra protection through double encryption and anti-DDoS servers when needed, too.
NordVPN provides a thorough zero-logging policy that covers everything from bandwidth to time stamps, traffic to IP addresses. Your activity is never recorded or shared with third parties while using NordVPN. Backing these features is 256-bit AES encryption on all data, an automatic kill switch, DNS leak protection, and a host of customizable encryption features.
Learn more about the NordVPN experience in our full NordVPN review.
- SPECIAL OFFER: 3-year plan (75% off - link below)
- No bandwidth caps
- Torrenting/P2P explicitly allowed
- Strict zero logs policy on both traffic and metadata
- 24/7 Live Chat.
- They can take 30 days to process refunds.
3 – PureVPN – Privacy and Much More
PureVPN does more than just protect your identity, the service delivers an all-in-one security suite that hides your devices from online dangers of all types. With PureVPN, you get instant access to anti-virus protection, malware shields, app blocking features, and DNS website filtering, all wrapped into one secure package. All you have to do is download the easy to use VPN software, choose the extra protections you’d like to turn on, and you’re set!
PureVPN offers useful security features that keep you safe online, as well. It starts with a zero-logging policy on traffic, an automatic kill switch, solid 256-bit AES encryption on all data, and DNS leak protection. These work alongside the company’s self-owned network of 750 servers in 180 different countries, providing a ton of options for fast, safe, and secure connections.
Need help installing PureVPN on your Fire TV or Fire Stick? We’ve got a handy guide that walks you through the entire process. It’s easier than you might think!
How to Install MX Player on Fire Stick and Fire TV
Got your VPN installed? Ready to watch some videos? Follow the guidelines below to install MX Player on your Fire Stick or Fire TV.
Start on your Fire Stick’s home screen. Go to Settings and scroll right and select System options. Scroll down and click Developer Options. Make sure the setting marked “ADB Debugging and Apps from Unknown Sources” is turned on. If it’s not, do that now, as it’s required before you can install any non-standard content.
Go back to the home screen and click on the Search box at the top. In order to install MX Player we’ll need to use a different app that can get non-local content and add it to Fire TV remotely. In the search section, type Downloader APK. Install it to your system, then launch it from the Apps & Games section on the main menu.
Note: Downloader app is just one of the many programs capable of sideloading content on Fire TV. If you don’t want to use Downloader, there are multiple free alternatives available, though they can be a little more complicated to use. Check out our guide comparing download methods for Fire TV for more information.
Launch the Downloader app and choose the download option inside. You’ll be prompted to enter a URL. Type in the following address exactly as it appears:
The web page will open in the Downloader app and automatically start downloading the file. After it completes, the Downloader app will prompt you to install it. Do so immediately.
MX Player will now be on your Fire Stick device. Launch it from the main screen at any time, and enjoy all the free movie and video streams!
Free vs Pro Version of MX Player
The MX Player comes in two varieties: free and pro. Understanding which one to use is confusing at first, as the features aren’t exactly spelled out in easy to read terms. The basics are pretty simple, fortunately, and it’s good news for Fire TV users.
The basic, free version of MX Player comes with a huge variety of features. Some of the more important ones are listed below.
- Hardware acceleration to improve video playback.
- Pinch, zoom, and pan controls for videos.
- Switch audio tracks with ease.
- Plays lots of file formats, including .3gp .avi .divx, .f4v .flv .mkv .mp4 .mpeg .mov .vob .wmv .webm
- Ad-supported playback.
- Scroll through subtitles using gestures, including zooming in and out of text.
- Kids lock to prevent access to other parts of the device while videos are playing.
- Support for tons of subtitle formats.
The MX Player Pro app includes all of these features except one: advertising. Purchasing the full pro version removes in-app ads so you can enjoy a live streaming experience without interruption or distraction. The other features are exactly the same, but if you want to support the developer and hate seeing ads, go with the pro version whenever possible.
How to Use a VPN to Stay Safe on Fire TV
Once you’ve selected the right VPN for your Fire Stick and installed the MX Player, most of the hard work is done. Now all you need to do is set everything up to enjoy a safe and secure internet connection!
- To get started, download the app for your chosen VPN. It may be available on the Amazon appstore, or you may have to sideload it or set it up yourself, it all depends on the VPN service in question. Once that’s complete, sign in using your credentials, then let the VPN connect and run silently in the background.
- Next you’ll want to install the MX Player. Do this using the guide above. It’s fast and simple, don’t worry, so you should be able to get it done in just a few minutes.
- While your VPN is still connected, launch the MX Player app on your Fire TV. If everything was done correctly you’ll be able to start watching free video streams and other movies right away. Best of all, thanks to the protection of the VPN, your identity and your data are both 100% secure. Just remember to keep your VPN active at all times, otherwise you’ll lose your privacy!
Using MX Player on Fire TV and Fire Stick is a great way to enjoy a ton of new and original video content. It plays live streams from the internet, and it runs local videos, too, making it a fantastic all-purpose app. Be sure to use it in conjunction with a VPN and you can enjoy maximum privacy and security every time you go online.
Did you find our guide useful? If you run into any installation issues, get in touch with us in the comments section below!