Now TV is a subscription-based television service that operates in the UK, Ireland, and Italy. Its big selling point is the fact that users can sign up and enjoy both online streaming and TV service without being locked into an expensive contract. Now TV is also available on dedicated streaming sticks, as well, which makes it one of the most convenient television services in the UK.
No matter what kind of Now TV service you prefer or where you access the content from, it’s always a good idea to protect yourself by using a reliable virtual private network. VPNs encrypt data to keep everything safe and secure each time you go online. They also provide virtual IP addresses so you can watch Now TV from anywhere in the world, all with just a few clicks!
- 1 How to Choose a Reputable VPN
- 2 Top 5 Best VPNs for Now TV
- 3 Now TV, VPNs, and Geo-Restricted Content
- 4 Using a VPN with Now TV
- 5 Conclusion
How to Choose a Reputable VPN
Choosing the right VPN for any online activity can be a tough task. There’s a lot of information to research and understand, especially when it comes to encryption protocols and privacy policies. How can you sift through the noise and find out which VPN lives up to its promises? By focusing on the criteria below, and by checking out our recommended VPNs in the next section.
Important VPN Features
To ensure you get the best balance of features for your VPN, we’ve provided a list of the most important criteria to consider. Focusing on these helps ensure you can watch Now TV safely and securely on any device, including smartphones and PCs.
- Device compatibility – If a VPN doesn’t support your device, you can’t use it.
- Fast downloads – Speed is crucial when it comes to streaming videos, downloading large files, and watching live sports.
- Network size – The more servers a VPN runs, the more connection options and IP addresses at your disposal.
- Reputation – Make sure your VPN has a huge base of satisfied customers before signing up.
- Zero-logging policy – A strict zero-logging policy for true online privacy and security is the only way to use a VPN.
Top 5 Best VPNs for Now TV
Ready to dive into the world of VPNs? We tested the best in the business to find out which ones are perfect for the job. Use any of the suggestions below to protect your identity and keep your information secure while streaming Now TV.
1 – ExpressVPN – Fast and User-Friendly
ExpressVPN is trustworthy and fast VPN service adored by countless customers around the globe. It delivers plenty of speed and security without sacrificing usability, while providing lightweight apps for a variety of platforms that make it easy to connect and stay safe on the internet. ExpressVPN also maintains a network of over 2,000 servers in 94 countries around the globe, each delivering fast connection speeds for incredible video streams. You can finally watch your favorite shows on Now TV without having to sit through long buffering delays!
ExpressVPN’s privacy features are always at work to keep you safe online. Data is protected with 256-bit AES encryption and backed by a zero-logging policy on traffic, DNS requests, and IP addresses. DNS leak protection and an automatic kill switch also deliver a reliable safety net in case of an accidental disconnect.
- Unblocks US Netflix, BBC iPlayer and other streaming services
- Superfast servers (minimal speed loss)
- Secure encryption & VPN protocols
- Strict no-logs policy for personal information
- 24/7 Live Chat.
- Slightly more expensive than some other options.
Check out our full ExpressVPN review for more info about the VPN’s amazing features!
2 – NordVPN – Fast and Powerful Protection
NordVPN offers some of the best features of any VPN currently on the market. The most unique is the company’s massive server network: over 4,800 servers in 62 different countries, more than twice the nearest competitor! Not only will you always be able to find a fast and stable server with NordVPN, you’ll also get access to extra protection through double encryption, location obfuscation, and anti-DDoS servers, as well.
This Panama-based provider maintains a zero-logging policy that covers everything from bandwidth to time stamps, traffic to IP addresses. Your activity is never recorded or shared with third parties. Backing these features is 256-bit AES encryption on all data, an automatic kill switch, DNS leak protection, and a host of customizable encryption features.
- Very affordable plans
- No bandwidth caps
- Torrenting/P2P explicitly allowed
- “Double” data protection
- 24/7 Customer Service.
- Very little
- Apps can be a bit cumbersome to use.
Learn more about the NordVPN experience in our full NordVPN review.
3 – CyberGhost – Fast, Secure, Safe
CyberGhost takes ease of use to the next level, offering a dead-simple interface that belies powerful privacy provisions beneath the surface. You simply sign in, choose from a list of pre-configured VPN use-cases (anonymous torrenting or browsing, for example), and let CyberGhost take care of the rest! Of course, advanced users can still find plenty of settings to tweak under the hood, allowing for a more customized experience.
Speeds are impressively fast and stable across their massive worldwide network, which numbers 2,400+ proxy servers in 60 countries. No buffering delays or Now TV slowdown with CyberGhost, just fast connections with any device, accessible with a single click. Backing it all up are foundational VPN features like 256-bit AES encryption, a strict no-logging policy, DNS leak protection, and even an automatic kill switch.
- Unblocks US Netflix + BBC iPlayer
- Great user experience and easy installation
- Apps for ALL devices
- Strict no-logs policy
- Money-back guarantee.
- Can’t unblock some popular streaming sites.
Learn more about CyberGhost’s great features in our complete CyberGhost review.
4 – PrivateVPN – Stable and Secure
PrivateVPN is a well-balanced VPN which delivers just the right features to keep you comfortably safe online. Want to stream HD movies or download large files? PrivateVPN makes it easy, fast, and secure on any device, including Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS, and Android. You’ll have instant access to all of these benefits at the touch of a button, too, thanks to PrivateVPN’s incredible custom apps.
This increasingly popular provider runs a strong network of 100 servers in 56 different countries, enough to deliver speed and connection variety regardless of your location. PrivateVPN locks down all data passing through this network with 256-bit AES encryption, and it keeps your connection safe with an automatic kill switch, DNS leak protection, and a zero logging policy on traffic.
Read more about PrivateVPN’s useful features in our full PrivateVPN review.
5 – PureVPN – Privacy and Much More
PureVPN offers a complete security suite for members, allowing you to stay safe from online dangers while keeping your identity hidden and secure. With PureVPN, you’ll get anti-virus protection, malware shields, app blocking, and DNS-based website filtering, all accessible from the core VPN software. Grab the app and turn on protections one by one, then you’re safe and sound.
Of course, PureVPN doesn’t skip out on the core VPN security features. The service includes a zero-logging policy on traffic, an automatic kill switch, 256-bit AES encryption on all data, and DNS leak protection. These features work to keep your data secure, no matter what environment you’re browsing in. And with PureVPN’s network of 750 servers in 180 different countries, you’re guaranteed a fast connection at all times!
Now TV, VPNs, and Geo-Restricted Content
How can a VPN protect your identity while streaming Now TV? How do they help you access the service from outside of the UK, Ireland, and Italy? In the next section we take a look at some of the most important features of virtual private networks so you can see exactly how they unlock the world wide web.
Geo-Restricted IP Addresses
Streaming services such as Now TV utilize a filtering system that prevents unauthorized international access. Each time a device connects to the internet it’s assigned a unique IP address, which functions almost like a postal address for packets of data. Every device gets its own IP, and without them, you can’t access anything online.
The downside to IP addresses is that they can be used to identify your location. By matching IPs with a master list, any website or streaming service can determine where a request is coming from, then block it if it doesn’t conform to the allowed regions. Now TV does this to prevent access from countries other than the UK, Ireland, and Italy.
The VPN Solution
Virtual private networks provide a ton of security features, all of which create an incredible shield of privacy for end users. They accomplish this through encryption, a process that locks every packet of data with complicated cryptography before it leaves your device. This ensures no one can see what you’re doing online, not even ISPs, hackers, or spying government agencies.
VPNs also provide virtual IP addresses that can help access geo-restricted content. When encrypted data leaves your network, it gets sent straight to a VPN server. Here it’s assigned a separate IP address, one that isn’t associated with your location or identity. By selecting a server in a specific country, you can get an IP address from anywhere in the world, all with just a few clicks. No one can determine where you’re actually sitting, opening up an entire world of content for you to enjoy!
Using a VPN with Now TV
With a good VPN researched and downloaded, you’re finally ready to enjoy safe, secure, and private Now TV from anywhere in the world. The hard part is over, it’s time to enjoy! Follow the steps below to set up your VPN and use it to stream Now TV on your favorite device.
- We’ll start by opening a web browser on your PC. Sign into your VPN account and download the VPN app for your operating system (Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, etc.). If you want to use the VPN on a smartphone, you may need to visit an app marketplace to download the app. Your VPN will provide instructions on how and where to obtain the correct software, if necessary. Otherwise, you’ll just download a single file and install it to your operating manually.
- Install the VPN app on your device. Launch the software and sign in using your VPN credentials. Most apps will automatically connect to the fastest server as soon as you launch. This is fine in most cases, but since you specifically need a UK, Irish, or Italian server to watch Now TV, you’ll have to manually change it to get the right IP address.
- Open the VPN software’s server browser and find a connection in the UK, Italy, or Ireland. Click the server to connect. The VPN will resolve the connection after a few moments. Once it completes, you’ll be online and safely connected with the right IP address.
- Now it’s a good idea to test your IP to make sure you’re actually able to use Now TV. This step is optional, but since it only takes a few moments to complete, go ahead and run through it, just to be on the safe side.
- While your VPN is active and connected to a UK, Irish, or Italian server, open a web browser and visit ipleak.net. The page will automatically run an IP address lookup. When it completes, you should see a box near the top that says “Your IP addresses”. Below that it should show the country whose server you connected to. If it does, that means you’re ready to stream!
- Each time you start your device make sure your VPN is active and connected to the right server, otherwise, you might send unencrypted data over the internet. Most apps can be configured to do this automatically, so if you don’t trust yourself, look through the software settings menu and toggle the option.
Getting the best VPN for Now TV takes a fair bit of research, but it isn’t as complicated as most people believe at first. All you have to do is find a reliable service by picking through our recommendations, create an account, connect to the right server, then start streaming from Now TV. With a VPN on your side you’ll stay safe and anonymous no matter what you download or watch. You can even watch Now TV from other countries while you travel!
Did our guide help you get streaming with Now TV? If you ran into any troubles along the way, or just want to voice a question, concern, or insight, leave us a comment below!