Playstation VUE offers an incredible range of content, but it’s unfortunately blocked outside of the United States. However, with the right VPN provider, you can spoof your virtual location to appear inside the US with an American IP address. This not only allows you to unlock a ton of great TV and movie streams, but to boost your privacy online.
In 2015, Sony launched a live streaming television service called PlayStation Vue, which allows users to enjoy 45+ channels of TV, movies, sports and more. As this service is native to the United States, you’ll find your access is restricted if you are traveling or living abroad. This is due to a phenomenon known as geo-blocking.
The best way to get around geoblocking and unlock PlayStation Vue from anywhere is by using a virtual private network. Today, we’ll show you how to choose the right VPN for smooth streaming, then make some recommendations for the best providers. Then, we’ll show you how to use your newfound power to unblock PlayStation Vue with ease. Read on.
What makes a good VPN?
To unblock PlayStation Vue, you must choose the right VPN for your needs. There are many VPN services on the market, each with their pros and cons. Choosing between them can be an overwhelming task.
We’ve narrowed down the field to a handful of the best VPNs for PlayStation Vue, each featuring:
- Servers in lots of different countries. To get around region locks, you need to connect to a server in another country. Choosing a VPN with a large server network provides flexibility. If your VPN’s server network is small, your options of changing your IP address are limited, and you might not be able to access your desired content.
- Strong security. For the maximum security when using a VPN, we look for strong 256-bit encryption and a no logging policy to protect your privacy.
- Fast connections. A good VPN should offer optimized connections that reduce slowdown from the encryption process to an unnoticeable minimum.
Top VPNs for PlayStation Vue
Now, we’ll present to you our list of the best VPNs to unblock PlayStation Vue abroad:
ExpressVPN is ideal for streaming PlayStation Vue. With a massive server network is numbering more than 3,000 servers in 94 different countries, ExpressVPN provides ample choice for connecting to American servers. What’s more, your subscription will net you some of the fastest connection speeds in the industry–the app even features a built-in speed test to prove it.
ExpressVPN has strong security policies including 256-bit AES encryption, along with a no-logging policy so your traffic history can never be used to identify you. The software is dead-simple to use, with a concise layout of essential features that belies a wealth of configuration settings beneath the hood. You’ll even find a kill switch, which prevents you from accidentally using an unsecured connection.
While ExpressVPN doesn’t offer dedicated software for PS3 or PS4, you can easily set it up on your router, or else simply stream PlayStation VUE through your Firestick, PC, or mobile device.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
- Unblocks Netflix and other streaming sites
- Super fast, reliable connection
- Secure encryption & VPN protocols
- No logs for personal data
- 24/7 Live Chat.
- Expensive month-to-month plan.
NordVPN provides a user with an incredibly large server network of 5,500 servers in 59 countries, with a whopping 1,900 of those servers located in the US–perfect for PlayStation Vue fans hungry for connection options. For more utility, NordVPN offers specialized connections within their desktop software, optimized for a variety of tasks including obfuscation, dedicated IP, double VPN, and more. This makes it utterly effective for bypassing all sorts of georestrictions to unblock PlayStation Vue from abroad.
Not content to offer merely the Swiss Army Knife of server networks, NordVPN maintains unbreakable 256-bit AES encryption, along with one of the industry’s best no-logging policies. Rounding the package out is the unique CyberSec toggle, which allows you to filter out malware, pop-ups, and annoying ads from your streaming experience.
Read our full NordVPN review.
- Optimized servers for unblocking Netflix
- Different IP addresses aervers
- 256-bit AES encryption with perfect forward secrecy
- Extra-secure Double VPN for data encryption
- 24/7 Chat Support.
- Some servers can be slow and unreliable
- They can take 30 days to process refunds.
CyberGhost maintains over 5,900 servers in 90 countries all across the globe. Despite the wealth of connection options, it’s never overwhelming to pick the best one out for unblocking PlayStation Vue. CyberGhost presents a dead-simple interface that prompts you to select your use-case, then relax as the software takes care of configuring all the appropriate VPN settings automatically. Options include unblock streaming, torrent anonymously, unblock basic websites, and more.
CyberGhost keeps you safe and private behind 256-bit AES encryption, as well as an automatic kill switch, IP leak protecting, and one of the most iron-clad no-logging policies you’ll find anywhere.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
- Unblocking Netflix, iPlayer, YouTube, Hulu
- 3,600+ servers, 55+ countries
- Robust encryption standards
- Zero logs and good privacy features
- 45-day money-back guarantee.
- Can’t unblock some other streaming sites.
PureVPN does things a little differently from the competition. Rather than just providing VPN protection, your subscription nets you an entire security suite. This includes app filtering, DDoS protection, a dedicated IP address, a NAT firewall, anti-spam filtering, and even antivirus software.
Of course, the essential VPN features are all there, with the option to drop down from the standard 256-bit encryption to 128 bits when you need a boost in speed (useful in streaming HD and 4K content). Additionally, there’s a massive server network numbering well over 2,000 nodes in an incredible 140+ countries (yes, the US is well represented). Rounding out the package is a solid policy against logging, to ensure what you do remains your business, and your business alone.
PureVPN is a simple software for bypassing geo-restricted content and will allow you to stream PlayStation Vue outside of the United States.
Read our full PureVPN review.
How to unblock PlayStation Vue with a VPN
Unblocking Playstation Vue with a VPN is trivially easy. Simply follow these steps:
- Sign up to one of the VPNs recommended above.
- Download and install the software onto the router that your PlayStation will connect to for internet access. Check out our guide on setting up a VPN router for details.
- When you initially sign in, your VPN will usually automatically connect to the fastest local server. You’ll need to manually connect to a US server if your goal is to unblock PlayStation Vue.
- Launch your PlayStation console, and navigate to PlayStation Vue. The software will function exactly as though you were physically located in the US, meaning the hard work is done.
Can I use a free VPN with PlayStation Vue?
Free VPNs might seem like an enticing way to protect yourself online without having to pay a monthly fee. After all, our recommended providers all charge a few bucks a month, which can add up over time. However, this nominal fee ensures that your VPN will never have to resort to shady business practices to allay their own operating costs.
Such methods range from a user experience burdened by ads to apps that secretly install malware onto your device. Worse still are the free VPNs which harvest your user data to be auctioned off the highest bidder. That’s right: non-paid VPNs actually make you less safe. Premium services charge so they can deliver not only premium service, but peace of mind. And really, who can put a price on that?
We are against free VPNs for the following reasons:
- Weak encryption which can be dangerous for your online security
- Track of your online activities (no zero-logging policies)
- Selling of your online activity records to third parties
- Placing ads on your web
- Few server locations
- Slow server connections
- Limited bandwidth
What is PlayStation Vue?
PlayStation Vue is Sony’s very own streaming service for gamers who prefer to stream from PS3 or Ps4. Vue is separated into pricing tiers, with the cheapest and most basic access package starting at $45. Unfortunately, most Vue packages do not come with major networks like NBC and ABC. If you want these channels as a part of your streaming service, you must pay for the $80 Ultra package.
Note that Sony checks to see if your payment information is registered to an American address. Using a VPN can help you bypass geoblocking, but you’ll still need a method to payyou’re your PlayStation Vue subscription.
PlayStation Vue offers a la carte add-ons; up to five simultaneous streams and as many as 10 different user profiles per account; the ability to record live TV; and sports a user interface that is smooth and easy to manage. You can even install and use apps like Netflix, Spotify, Hulu, HBO Go, Youtube and more when using PlayStation Vue. Just be sure you are within the United States or else PlayStation Vue will not grant you access to stream.
This article explains everything you need to know about PlayStation Vue, including how to unblock streaming when you’re in another country. Each of our recommended VPNs is tested and proven to work flawlessly with the service, and is well-worth the nominal monthly fee.
Which country you will be streaming PlayStation Vue from? Let us know in the comments below.
If you need a VPN for a short while when traveling for example, you can get our top ranked VPN free of charge. ExpressVPN includes a 30-day money-back guarantee. You will need to pay for the subscription, that’s a fact, but it allows full access for 30 days and then you cancel for a full refund. Their no-questions-asked cancellation policy lives up to its name.